Author Topic: CCW practice/training  (Read 703 times)

Offline JJ79

• Trade Count: (0)
CCW practice/training
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
recently completed my state's handgun carry class. currently waiting to receive my permit by mail...so, I figure this is a great time to be making sure I'm as ready as possible for carrying once my permit gets here.

I am a long-time shooter & hunter, not new to shooting at all...in fact I've been shooting since I was old enough to hold a gun; but I, like lots of other folks, have zero shooting experience as it would apply to combat/self-defense. so, I just wanted to get some advice/input (especially from those in the military or law-enforcement).

what is your practice/training routine? what practical advice would you give to us civilian CCW folks? (in particular, shooting exercises that will help us be as prepared as possible, should we ever have to use that pistol on our hip).

thanks in advance for all input, and for your service to our cities/country...

-JJ

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: CCW practice/training
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »
Just know how to run the gun you carry, and practice with the ammo you will carry in it.  You need to know how it feels when things are right, what buttons to push without looking and the order you will do things in, also without looking at the gun.  In the Army, (in the early 70's) they had us do everything with our rifle, we ran with it, ate with it, they even had us sleep with it.  Most likely it was to have us be totally comfortable with how it felt and worked, they made us take it apart and put it together with out looking at it.  My guess is if you ever need it, it will not be in a place or time that you ever thought about having to have it.  Even the most lame 22 short single shot in your pocket it vastly superior to the 1911 in your safe.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »
trotterig gave some you some solid information. You should practice enough with your carry gun until it's operation becomes second nature. (From concealment of course) Unless you have a lot of money or a big stash of carry ammo, doubt that you'll be able to afford much practice with carry ammo. At least shoot enough of it to insure it is reliable in your gun. Don't confuse it with training, but good gun handling skills practice can be had in a super fun environment at a local IDPA match. If you have made the mental and moral decision to use deadly force if necessary, hone your gun handling skills and you will be as prepared as you can get short of some intensive force on force training. Stay safe!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:22 AM »
please remember this is done with an auto, duty gear and a triple retention holster.  if ya can do this with a revolver from concealment...holy cow

25 ydrs 6 rds total gun at the ready:  all behind barricade 2 rds stading 2 rds kneeling 2 rds prone 20 sec.

15 yrds 9rds total gun at the ready:  3' barricade  3rds kneeling right side, 3rds kneeling left side, 3rds kneeling over the top. 25 sec.

10 yrds 6 rds from the holster 3 rds center mass in 3 sec.   breath.  fialure drill, from the ready 2rds chest 1 rd head 4 sec.

7 yrds from the holster failure drill  3sec ea

5 yrds from the holster 3 rds center mass 3 sec twice

3 yrds 6 rds from the holster 1rnd 1 sec.  2rds 2 sec.  3rds 2sec. ( no thats not a typo )

all shot made on command. target is FBI-Q type only hit in the bottle count for hits  hope this is what your looking for.  have fun!
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:54:40 AM »
should read these before posting. at 7 yrd do this drill 3 times.  sorry

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:15 AM »
All good advice above.

Handle it and shoot it until it feels as natural and familiar as picking up your fork at the dinner table (or operating your TV remote!).  Work on accuracy and building muscle memory by doing many, many repititions of shooting, reloading, drawing @reholstering (do these with an empty gun).  Work on being SMOOTH and accurate - the speed will come naturally as you get smoother.

Experiment and decide which type of carry works best for you based on your gun, your clothing requirements and your physical build.

When carrying always carry your gun in the same location.  For example if you decide on behind the hip waist carry you could use inside or outside waistband, but make sure it's always in that location when you reach for it.  Ever watch an ex-smoker when he feels a little stressed?  His hand automatically goes to his shirt pocket - 30 years of muscle memory!
Shoot any type of competition you can, it will help you to improve your shooting under stress.

Most important, study all applicable laws concerning the use of deadly force until you thoroughly understand them because you can't afford to make a mistake and you'll have to make a split second decision that MUST be correct.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
It is like learning to drive---do it until it becomes second nature &&&&&&D like driving a car never let it become second nature.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:40:11 PM »
Some very good advice from everyone, but one thing that was constantly pumped into our heads while going through “Gunsite” was things never happen in real time.  A gunfight will not be like those depicted in the movies, two gunfighters standing in the middle of the street taking shots at each other.  You can bet your butt, if you ever get to the point where you must shoot then most likely both you and the perp will both be moving.  You need to practice moving, shooting at a moving target and reloading at the same time, I admit most of us never get “really good” at this, but at least it familiarizes you with the practice and prepares you for an actual event.

I have used targets strung on a cable strung between two trees, where someone pulls it for me; I have also used a 55 gallon drum and had someone roll it down hill.  You need to practice moving in both the same and opposite directions.  At one time I could consistently place four-five rounds on target with a high capacity auto, if I got one shot on target with a revolver I felt lucky.

Bottom line, if you ever get in a gun fight I’d bet no one is standing still.  And remember, if using someone to make the target move, don’t forget SAFETY!

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:16 AM »
just a bit aside.  some years ago we set up a moving deer target for a flintlock shoot.  cut the deer out of plywood, mounted on rollers hung from a cable strung up on a slant, through some brush and trees.  worked good, but that "deer" was doing about 55mph.  to much pitch to the cable.  quite a shot with a flinter, nobody made a good hit.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:38 PM »
 Find hard, solid cover.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »
I believe movement is the key in most any kind of fight.
The one who enters into a defensive position becomes static and looses momentum.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD