Author Topic: My Cannon  (Read 2372 times)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: My Cannon
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »
ice in whisky ??

oooooohhhh noooooo

WHISKY SHOULD BE MIXED WITH PEPSI   ;D

just kidding  ;D

just to keep this post on topic :  NEVER MIX ALCOHOL AND CANNON SHOOTING
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
now you done it  :o '......i said maybe leave an old piece with patina alone maybe i should have said All old pieces......'

you been living in england too long ..... ;D

DD IS aback up as i know he has lots of respect for shiny brass .....maybe not every where ....maybe not now ....but there was a time when when he was very happy as his shinny brass ... ;) kept 'the whole platoon from being killed' on your account . thats not good .

as for 'the Navy' .....their only real purpose other than subs is just to ferry Marines here and there , and create underwater reefs once in a while ;D so there is that too . they are good people and fish humanitarians .

i didnt realize Scotland had any marines  :o....duck and cover  ;D

ice on stolei vodka and water . but i'm a beer guy ...i know swill but it just is . ive 'heard there's an up and coming beer coming to Scotland called gunisse .  i tryed one .......  it was good .

kinda like a PBR .

gary

Dan, you know those mad marines would have those beautifull aged barrels a-shining and a-gleaming with their (should be )illegal cleaning materials.Did you notice the attempt to get DD as backup,sneaky,underhand tactics,bet the Navy wouldn't try that.Duraglit!!!!!!!!!!!! nearly as sacreligious as putting ice in Whisky.
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »
I think a new made cannon should be shiny, the old probably was polished when they leave the foundry,
ok maybe not exactly polished, but at least semi polished

BUT TO USE BRASSO , DURAGLIT OR ANY SIMILAR SUBSTANCE ON AN ANTIQUE CANNON ??
SOMETIMES THE DEATH PENALTY FEELS EXTREMELY JUSTIFIED  ;D

just let all cannons age with dignity , its very beautiful with a deep dark brown or green color on a bronze barrel .

but when its a very light green color they should of course be professionaly cleaned and protected by crystalin wax .
preferably also kept inside after that .
John does an incredible work in that area , also if its a bit like Gullivers fight against Goliat .
hope you will continue that fight John .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
i'm not sure about the death penalty for polishing ...but on rare occasion we will cook ,hang ,shoot .gas and inject our vermin.

and they will not do it agian ......

but polishing ..................ok no polishing old cannons , espiesaly the kind that is done every day at some military schools to where the lines are not maintained ...or washed out ......

i will go on record saying that if Dan sends me a nice old howitzer that he has , since ...'roaming in the back rooms of the museum' i promise that it will never be polished .......just cleaned after shooting  :o.
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
"The reason for the BP problem was due to a "Know it all" at a local un named, Gun shop..."

I don't know why, but there seems to be a high percentage of "legend in their own mind" types both behind the counter and leaning on it at most every gun store I've visited.

At one shop recently, I was lamenting the fact that we could no longer get >10 round mags in CA.

Billy Bob, proudly wearing his free-with-membership-renewal NRA hat, told me that if I was to get me a "metal extruder" I could make me all the magazines I ever wanted and the gummint wouldn't no nutin about it neither.

Sounds like a handy machine. I'll have to pick one up next time I'm down at the unicorn ranch at the end of the rainbow...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 03:48:57 AM »
ok.in words and pictures for the benefit of the ship's ballast ( o yes,gloves are off ) have posted pic of both conditions , no contest really............aged look wins hands down.
 both 50 cal.       small one is a black powder only proofed Dikar  bigger is unmarked but will fire and what a gorgeous colour.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 04:48:03 AM »
and..................look at that neat little barrel with it's horrible shine up against those warm shades of brown ,looks like a punk at a gentlemens' drinking session.

And as for Girlie Lavender Water ( Vodka ) and yes I have tried many of them......keep getting it from the dragon's family ( in-laws ) the shiny barrel fits right in ,  no class  no taste  just not Gallus. Vodka only suitable as a grease remover,you could add it to your illicit cleaning materials list ,no good for anything else.Maybe try it for firing up my next bar-b-que . :P   now say uncle    I'm just getting warmed up.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 04:56:37 AM »
they are very nice . i would not remove patina that has accumulated over 20 years or so , because it does look nice .

but so does a freshly fired shinny bronze yes because of the contrast . but it should be cleaned up as soon as possible .

but if you changed your mind ,send to me and i will take care of it . :D note i didnt say polish i said take care of ...... ;D

so what is up with your carronade name ...do you like them ?
i'm just wondering

i'll send you my address , and i will pay shipping . please send it so i can admire the dull beauty of it . please hurry though as i'm going to move to a new address soon....... 8)

what caliber is it ? honestly we have so few bronze guns here we (i) havent seen may , one old napolian overlooking chattanoga tenn. no dolfins is really all that comes to mind.

some from the revolution ....you remember that little thingage ......right .

SO we need more and after all you guys in over their have SO many .....well its only right ,

in return i will send you some CDs or an ipod and they wont work on your system . as that sort of thing now passes as 'classy' in modern day america . you and the Queen will be even ....think of it .  

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »
I'll presume we are comparing the natural patina of brass vs polished brass with color of varoius beverages, looking for that perfect hue for your favorite cannon barrel.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 05:06:38 AM »
send me your finest Scotish Marines and I will take ALL of them on AND win . i will polish their guns and engrave them with my moniker .

how many divisions does the pope have ....er i mean Scotish Marines . I know the exact number is top secret ......right about O i thought so ....  :D

i told you i like PBR's and that guinnus stuffage . and if I could learn how to resize photos i can post of a little .

after they are bright and shinny they would make fine ballest . so there is that too.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 07:15:04 AM »
 DD, you know me and Rocklock wouldn't dream of going off topic  ::) in order to compare colours you do need a reference....................what could be better than something universal like booze. ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 07:16:23 AM »
and Brass ;D

cannon

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 07:27:18 AM »
bronze cannons  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
sorry dan right now brass is it ......never say never though , i may switch to bronze as i've never seen a

real 90-10 % bronze cannon in person ....but nobody here does anything with it . it's silicone this and that .

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 07:40:04 AM »
silicone is easier to cast , but absolutely not suitable for cannons as its much more fragile then a 90/10 copper/tin cannon bronze
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »
DD, you know me and Rocklock wouldn't dream of going off topic  ::) in order to compare colours you do need a reference....................what could be better than something universal like booze. ;D

That's what I thought you were doing, is that what I was hoping you were doing.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »
Does anyone know about a Limber or plans for one in this scale?
Sure would be nice to have one to go with the Cannon for display

No, but you could get plans for the U.S. limber in use during the Civil War, and reduce the scale using your model's wheel diameter as your gauge. The US carriages, limber, caisson, and battery wagon all used a 57-inch 14 spoked wheel, so you might want to change this to a 12 spoked wheel to match your model carriage's wheels.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
Does anyone know about a Limber or plans for one in this scale?

Antique Ordnance Publishers has folio No. 21 (Civil War Field Gun Limber used with all Field Carriages) available.  It is full scale but it's not that difficult to rescale dimensions to whatever you are trying to match.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »
"...those warm shades of brown..."

That thing in the picture is a bronze cannon barrel, right? Take a pic of it with some smoke curling out of the bore and that drab finish would make it look about like a cigar.

Probably go good with a shot of good tequila  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 04:25:29 AM »
Shame on you (and the squirrel basher) trying to get me to go off topic ,already had a shot across my bow from DD and I gotta behave,maybe even be nice to Rocklock  :(  no more booze talk.
  yes it's bronze, can't remember where or when I got it, totally unmarked so no idea of maker or age.You gotta remember the laws over here about shooting, I really envy you guys ( seriously ) we used to use cannons to start yacht races years ago so I'm gonna sniff around and check out the rules and regs.it's torture seeing you guys blatting away.................In your back yard for God's sake. >:( >:( >:(