Author Topic: Never carried concealed, and could use some advice on a new piece.  (Read 2046 times)

Offline JJ79

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Never carried concealed, and could use some advice on a new piece.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »

Sorry, but I just can't buy this.  I don't see how you can miss a target that is two feet high and two feet wide at a distance of three feet.  You would have to be facing the other way, or trying to miss.

or you could be taking fire... or being punched in the face... or shooting in the dark....or injured...or shooting with your weak hand....etc, etc, etc.  yes, it'd be tough to miss from 5 feet under normal conditions, but self-defense shootings don't happen under normal conditions.

as far as not "buying" it, well, you'd have to take that up with the officer who shared the info...but he didn't strike me as the dishonest type.

like I said, don't take my word for it...ask some folks who've actually been there and had to pull the trigger.  I think they'll tell you a miss at arms-length ranges is still entirely possible.  (especially with a tiny mouse-gun)

but, to each his own...if you believe you cannot miss, then who am I to tell you that you can?   :-\

that said, I think we've veered far off the track of the OP's original question, so....I'll bow out here in the interest of getting the thread back on track.

-JJ out...

Offline Casull

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »
or you could be taking fire... or being punched in the face... or shooting in the dark....or injured...or shooting with your weak hand....etc, etc, etc.  yes, it'd be tough to miss from 5 feet under normal conditions, but self-defense shootings don't happen under normal conditions.

as far as not "buying" it, well, you'd have to take that up with the officer who shared the info...but he didn't strike me as the dishonest type.

like I said, don't take my word for it...ask some folks who've actually been there and had to pull the trigger.  I think they'll tell you a miss at arms-length ranges is still entirely possible.  (especially with a tiny mouse-gun)

but, to each his own...if you believe you cannot miss, then who am I to tell you that you can?

You make my argument for me.  If the miss is caused by one of the scenarios you list, what possible difference would the caliber or size of gun have?  NONE.  If you miss because it's dark or you're being punched, the size of the gun was not a factor. 
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 03:26:13 AM »
From 20 ft. a person can be on you in one second.
From 20 ft. that same person can make a move, right or left, in a nano and I would challenge most to follow that target.
If the target is still, if, the nerves are just right, luck is with you, you can hit the target.
Blink, flinch, breath too hard, heart pounding, stumbling, startled, caught unaware, maybe-makeing a move of your own, running, sidestepping-----and the side of a barn couldn't get in the way.
Now, I know you boys are cool under fire---I KNOW that I am not.
Blessings   
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 03:42:06 AM »
20 feets a picnic. How about 7 or 8 feet?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »
20 feets a picnic. How about 7 or 8 feet?

Exactly!  If you are shooting someone who is 20 feet away and is not shooting at you, then you will proabably go to jail when it is all over.  Self defence is just that, last ditch effort not to be dead, hitting what you aim at from 50 yards has nothing to do with it at all.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »
When it happens, it happens usually when you aren't really ready. It will be over in most likey less than 10 to 15 seconds, and it will take you a while to fully grasp what just happened.
On my second one, I was asked how many shots I fired and had not a clue, I was shooting for relief. I got relief, and the investigation showed I fired 5 in less than 3. They were in a car, and I was standing. Distance? Less than 10'.
Practice, and THINK!
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett