Author Topic: 44 mag accuracy  (Read 555 times)

Offline jacks44mag

• Trade Count: (1)
44 mag accuracy
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:16:01 AM »
I have a  NEF handi 44 mag I cant get a good groop at 100 yards I might get one or two shots close together but then one will go maybe 6" high maybe way left or right just all over. my scope mount is tight I have tride a new scope new ammo and let some one else shoot the gun with the same type of groops.  can any one think what else to check ?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 44 mag accuracy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:44:10 AM »
When was the barrel made? If the barrel is original to the frame, and came that way from the factory, you can tell from the serial number (check the FAQ's). It could be an earlier .44 Mag with an oversize bore, if so you may have to handload larger diameter bullets. Others have discussed that quite a bit here....<><....:)

And by the way, welcome aboard, this is the place to be for in on, or just to discuss, Handi's. When you are here you are among friends....<><....:)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:51:07 AM »
Welcome! More stuff to check is written in the Handi Basics 101 sticky, that along with the FAQs and Help should give you some places to look, but as MSP said, if your barrel was made prior to late 2006, the bore is too large for factory ammo and standard .429"/.430" bullets, but handloaded .432" cast bullets will get you decent accuracy.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jacks44mag

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:41 AM »
Thanks for the help where would I find .432 cast bullets with or with out gas checks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:08:44 AM »
I'd slug the bore first, it may be a newer barrel with the tighter bore and there are other issues, bore slugging can be found in the FAQs and Help sticky, use CTRL F to search the page. There's a list of cast bullet sources in the Cast Bullet forum on the main index page here, Beartooth and Montana sell .432" bullets for a couple sources.  ;)

Tim

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/wst_page6.html

Offline jacks44mag

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »
Ok I sluged the barrel got .432/.433 anyone know what it should be
My hornadys xtp are .430

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 02:31:31 PM »
My 2007 barrel slugs .424" at the lands and.4285" in the grooves, sounds like ya got one of the older barrels, I'd go for some of the .433" bullets from Montana Bullet.

Tim