Author Topic: H&R Stubbed barrels  (Read 862 times)

Offline Wabash

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Stubbed barrels
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
Am I understanding right that the stubbed barrel rifles are 12 ga. shotgun barrels
that are cut off ahead of the lug and a rifle barrel is turned down and
inserted, glued, soldered or welded in place and the extractor fitted.
Is this the way the stubbed barrels are fitted??

Interesting for caliber not offered.

Thanks
Wabash

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R Stubbed barrels
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
Welcome! Stubbing is covered in the FAQs and Help sticky, a good place for Handi newbies to spend lots of time reading.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitch132

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
Try something a little more like this...

These are from my 26" .38 Special stub project that I have finely finished and fired its first groups. It shot a 13/16" group at 100 yards with the first load I have tried in it. Not to bad for an Adams and Bennett .358" blank, a $70 20 gauge from a pawn shop, and a chamber reamer that me and my brother designed and made in his shop from O1 drill rod.

I still need to get a picture of the finished rifle, equipped with laminates, scope, and browned barrel.

Please remember to always be safe when even considering one of these projects, and if ever in doubt, let a professional handle it for you.

I would like to thank Larry, trotterlg, for his many posts and pictures that led me to building stub barrels of my own.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
As you know I've done a few and that looks like a mighty fine project!  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mitch132

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
Thanks Larry! Coming from you, that is a compliment! I spent a solid week on just what you see in the pictures and making the chamber reamer. But it really paid off. It's fun, quiet, accurate, VERY cheap to reload, and has a throat to my specifications as far as length, diameter, and 1.5 degree transition to rifling.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
Looks good Mitch. A good choice in the 38 Special - easy to find components for and low pressure. I found the A&B barrels to shoot pretty well too. Not match grade, but surprisingly well. It will make a dandy pinking round and will work for pest control or for a short range predator rifle. You are right about being quiet too. Real satisfying when you can do it yourself. I just got to get me a lathe. :)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.