Author Topic: ruger old army value  (Read 2372 times)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
ruger old army value
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
im going to a auction friday at a small town police dept. they have a ruger old army among other things that will be on auction. what i need is just a general value of a ruger old army in decent condition.ive long wanted one of these and would love any and all info yu can provide me about them.were they made in both blue and stainless? what the value difference between them?id just like a nice gun at a decent price. hope yuall can help me out!

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
Re: ruger old army value
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »
always wanted one myself. as far as i know there was a blued and stainless a 7.5" and 5.5" version and fixed and adjustable sights. a quick gun broker check had a low of 350 to about 500 but that didnt have any stainless versions on it
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:10:24 AM »
The blued now goes for $300 to as high as $450 depending on condition, the stainless is usually $50 more than the blued.  There are exceptions to the above as the 5 1/2" is usually $50 more than the regular blued and the stainless is also more than the 7" model.  They also made some special editions with engraving and inlaid grips; they can go for much more.  Ruger stopped production of the Old Army's so expect the price to start going up soon, as the current prices are already $50 to $75 more than last year for used, and new condition ones are fetching premium dollar now.  Ruger will continue to honor the lifetime warranty and carry parts for the Old Army.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
awesum info and just what i needed. this auction is at a small town police dept so im guessing its just guns they have confiscated over the years.mite be a bunch of rusty junk for all i know.hell the dang thing may still be loaded.let yuall know what happens after friday. thanks

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »

.hell the dang thing may still be loaded.let yuall know what happens after friday. thanks

If it was still loaded one of the cops would have shot himself by now

Offline hillbill

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
well i got it bought today for 190$ at the auction. its a stainless in decent condition but the little latch that holds the loading lever up is broken off the underside of the barrel and the loading lever is slightly bent to one side.looks like sumone may of tried to bend it over sumeones head.other than that it just needs taken apart and polished up good. anybody know how the load lever latch is attached to underside of barrel?looks like it mite of been sweated, brazed, or silver soldered on. any of you more sperienced guys know exatcly how it was attached?im off to ruger website to check on parts.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 02:34:17 AM »
I would take advantage of Ruger's lifetime warranty and contact them with the problem, you'll probably be able to get it fixed for price of shipping and they will do a thorough checkout to boot. and as a B/p gun, it doesn't require the expensive shipping.  I ship mine USPS.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 04:05:09 AM »
so your saying i can just take it to the post office and ship it?that would be great.i will contact ruger next week and see what they say.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
got the old girl took apart and cleaned up, reassemblled it cuz everything looked good. obtained some 457 round balls, had some fffg triple seven already, took it out and shot it with a rubber band around the loading lever since if you remember the latch was broke off.first 3 shot group at 25 yrds yu could of covered with a quarter.bout a foot high tho. cranked down the back site and best i could do was bout 3 or 4 in high.still very impressed with the accuracy, seemed to shoot much better clean than dirty. but even dirty was a match for most modern pistols and was a very informal shoot. did start one of my sandbags on fire lol.the cylinder locked up a couple times that wasnt related to caps falling off in the action. pulled cylinder and reinserted, everything fine.goin to send it back to ruger and have them chek it out and fix the latch thing and im thinking ive got a real nice gun at a real nice price.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »
You can't go wrong with the ROA, American made of the same metal as their Blackhawks and their fantastic warranty.  I've enjoyed mine and if you cast, shooting it is as cheap as 22's but alot more bang and flash.  I check the local Wally world just at the end of B/p season for powder and caps, they are on sale at a significant discount from their regular price.