Author Topic: freedom arms 454 83 feild grade  (Read 1490 times)

Offline JB

• Trade Count: (0)
freedom arms 454 83 feild grade
« on: September 20, 2003, 05:37:37 AM »
wasn't shure where to post this but had to brag.  i have always wanted a freedom arms 454 but would never have the money to buy one. a few weeks ago some one i work with knows i am into guns and told me a freind of his had one he wanted to trade, so i said i would look at it. i almost fell over when he brought out a FA. it is a 7 1/2" with the 45acp cylender and a freedom arms leather holster marked 83 7 5 whitch by the way is the finest belt holster i have ever worn for a long barreled pistol.  any way this guy said he wanted a auto. he bought it from some one who was trying to sell it at a gun shop for $500 and he shot 10 rnds in it said that was all he wanted of that. after taking it to the police dep. and having the #s ran it didn't take me long to find an auto he liked. all i have shot in it has been winchester 250 gr factory (kicks like a 44) and 45s (kicks like a 38) as i dont want to just jump in to the deep end. since i finested the 250s all i could get was one box of magtec i hear they are a little hotter i might save them if i get some win. 250s or dies and brass soon. always wanted one with a 4 5/8 barrel now i am kinda glad it is  7.5 shoots great.  anyone have sugestions on a shoulder holster on the cheep side, ammo, or rubber grips.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 03:31:32 AM »
I have wanted a FA in .454 casull so long, I can taste it.  Why is it I never run into deals like that?  heh heh
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 05:40:18 AM »
I use this one from Cabelas to carry my Freedom Arms when I have the scope on it.  Works well so far and only cost about $30.  Good deal on the 454 by the way.  I bought my 454 Premier from a fellow that had shot it 18 times.  He gave me the remainder of that box and the other two boxes of full FA ammo with it for $1200.  Not as good of a deal as yours but I love it none the less.  It is a whitetail killing machine.  Have fun with it.  GS

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0006640224125a&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=0006640&catalogCode=ID&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

Offline JB

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 09:11:11 AM »
SAWgunner
i just got lucky i doesn't hapen to me often usually i buy somting and don't like it or find someting i want more and have to sell or trade it for 1/2 what i have in it. but for onice i bid ok and got something that i really like and am going to keep.

Zeus
think you that is just what i was looking for but i don't have a scope on mine. probbly will someday but going to play with it like for a while without
i want to carry it as a side arm if i draw an elk tag next year and try to get in range to take a cow with it.

Offline targetshootr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 04:55:07 PM »
if i read that right, you only paid $500 for it?! what a deal. i paid $1000 for mine without a box or acp cylinder but with a leupold scope and rail from the factory.

it is the finest revolver made in my onion and worth every penny when you consider msrp on a colt or usfa saa is about as much.

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 05:32:43 PM »
You got a great gun at a great deal. I'm not sure if you have shot big guns much but with FA guns with such tight tollerences and heavy recoil you must keep it oiled well especially where the base bin sets in the frame. Also keep a close check on the screwes that mount the grip frame to the receiver. On my FA guns I've had to tighten the screws and use lock-tite after about a 1000 rounds. It's good to keep a check on the tightness of the screws before every range session. Heavy recoiling guns require a little more attention than others in my opinion.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline Roller

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 01:19:56 PM »
Owning Freedom Arms guns WILL become a sickness to you.  I got my first  FA .454 in January after waiting about 10 years.  I put a scope on it.  After shooting it for about 2 months, I decided I needed a second so I would have one with open sights.  In February I recieved  my second FA .454.  They are both Premier Grades.  Over the last couple of months,  I have been interested in the .475 Linebaugh, so 2 weeks ago I ordered my third Premier Grade in .475 with an Octoganal barrel.  It will become an obsession to you, if you are like me.  When you buy a holster for yours, remember, Freedom Arms deserve to be carried in LEATHER.  Freedom Arms holsters are great.

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 02:06:25 PM »
I concur with Roller. I started off with one and now have 3 FA's. Elpaso Saddlery makes top rate leather also but you have to wait 8 weeks from the date of purchase to receive your order. I haven't scoped one yet but I would like to to see how well it really shoots. I shot a one hole virtical string of 5 at 25 yards with the 475 the other day, free handed. Thats my best thus far. The guy a FA told me once FA barrles are broken in they out shoot the factory target supplied with your gun.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline JB

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 02:40:54 AM »
targetshootr
no the guy i got it from had less than $500 in it. it cost me my 10-06 that i had alot more than that in and gave him some shells and goodies to go with it.

Offline JB

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 01:21:36 AM »
This thing rocks. i shot at a rabbit the other day misted the frist shot but muxt have knocked him silly as he jumped around but didn't take off. the secont shot did it. now i will tell you up front this is a lucky shot for me it was around 50 yards but i'll take it. the magtec did the job but it just put a hole on bouth sides.

TScottO
think you thing i didn't think of i do have a sbh 44 that the grip frame screwes lusned up on once.

Roller
you are right about the fa houster. it has 2 belt slots the back one in a cross draw works well. i am now thinking of having my shoulder hoster made but it will be a long time befor i have the money.