Author Topic: .243 factory loads?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Lee D.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.243 factory loads?
« on: November 04, 2003, 02:38:08 AM »
2 women I know just bought .243's(against my advice), what is your reccomendation for a factory deer catridge for these rifles?
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline Dave in WV

.243 factory loads?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 03:29:50 AM »
Remington 100gr core-lokts. If these ladys practice (off hand) on a full size paper deer target like bow hunters use and get the shot placement down, they'll do fine. I bought my son a .243 13 years ago and after he got two bucks with it I bought one too. I honestly believe a 243 will drop a deer faster with 100 gr core-lokts than a 30-06 using 165-180gr core-lokts at 150 yard or less.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline howie1968

• A Real Regular
what I like
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 07:08:20 AM »
Remington 100  gr  core-lokts also  for  me  Nothing  wrong  with  a  243   for  deer
Hi  enjoy  hunting  guns    teaching  my  2  daughters  about  hunting  and  boxing

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 08:29:29 AM »
I don't want to start the minimum caliber thread again.  It is just my opinion that if you are going out to buy a new deer hunting rifle you should buy something with more than a 243.  There are many choices that are better if you are buying a new gun.  Especialy a new hunter with minimum shooting skills.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 10:28:46 AM »
I'll have to agree with your advice that the .243 isn't the best choice for the beginning hunter but add that with good shot placement it will take even larger whitetails very nicely with the right bullet. Although not the ideal caliber in terms of bullet weight, it is nevertheless lethal if care and skill are exercised with shot selection. I will third the above two posts that the Remington 100grain core-lokt is the best choice for factory ammo in the .243. I swear by the core-lokt bullet; IMHO it is far and away the best choice of any non-premium type of bullet. It my experience, it expands to a decent diameter fairly rapidly, but rarely fragments or separates from its jacket, allowing for nearly maximum penetration, with usually a good exit hole for trailing the wounded animal. It provides the best compromise between trauma and penetration on medium-sized light-skinned game.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 04:44:22 PM »
I used to use the Rem core-lokt in my 06 (180 gn).  I quit using it because at close shots the bullet never held up.  There was never an exit hole.  Granted the deer either dropped or only went a very short way and it is a very accurate bullet. But I decided to look elsewhere for the bullet I would go with.  Actually I think the Nosler Partition in the 100 gn. is the way to go in the 243.  I also think that the 243 is a good caliber for deer and if a person is properly taught when and where to shoot it is as good as anything out there. But these days we tend to lean towards "bigger is better".  I think that real (or perceived) recoil is a new shooters worst enemy and the 243 gives great killing power and  excellent accuracy at a very low recoil.  I know that there are some other very good calibers for beginners, but in my experience, my son's experience and several other friend's experiences the 243 is a good caliber for deer. It does not rank in the top 10 of all calibers just for coyote hunting.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 05:45:01 PM »
Had really poor results with the new Core Lokt Ultra. Will go back to the Federal Premium loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions. Have taken mule deer, whitetail, antelope, and even a couple of elk with it.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline colt451911

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 07:38:35 PM »
Have to go with something in the 100gr range, the 80gr varmit rounds just wont cut it.  By the way, I love my .243, knocks down coyotes with a single shot and splits squirells in two.  Would I use it on a deer? nope, too small.

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 02:14:40 AM »
My vote goes to the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic tip as well.  Don't worry about the 243 being "too small", it still has more energy than a 30-30, shoots flatter, and has less recoil.  More deer in this country have probably been taken with a 30-30 than any other caliber over the last 50 years and nobody says that is "too small".  For beginning hunters they got good advice from someone.  If the 243 is going to allow them to practice more and be comfortable while shooting then it is a perfect caliber.

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 03:05:44 AM »
That is the problem.  They are not going to practice enough to get good and they have no one to hunt with to give them advice.  They went to Wally world and bought what the salesman sold them.  I agree that the .243 is powerful enough but I think it is better in the hands of an experienced hunter that understands the importance of bullet placement and entry angles and such.  I had tried to talk them into the 7mm-08.  which I think is pretty close to perfect.  Even though I don't own one yet.

Offline Dave in WV

.243 factory loads?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 03:38:31 AM »
Lee, another way to look at it is if it doesn't kick them they won't be as apt to flinch. If it kicks they will.

Dogshooter, what kind of poor results did you actually have and what were you hunting? I thought the new Core-Lokts would be better.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 05:54:54 AM »
I have had nothing but quick kills(mostly instant) with a .243 and 100gr. core lokt handloads.  I shot a larger deer than you'd normally run across here in eastern NC with a 6MM Rem. and 100 core-lokt, same story.

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 06:37:23 AM »
All well and good for a skilled hunter/rifleman.  These women will fire probaly 10 shots from a bench and if I can get them to maybe 5 offhand.  They aren't going to have the skill or judgement to pass on marginal shots and are going to unprepared for a prolonged tracking session.  I feel they would be better off with something that is going to give them a larger margin of error.  I'll be very surprised if either of them can hit a 10" circle offhand at 50 yards before they go out hunting.  If I thought they could handle it I would have suggested something that they could shoot a deer in the butt and blow its brains out.  If they already had the .243's I would not have told them to go out and buy new guns but since they were going out to get something new anyway I would have been more happy if the Wally world guy had sold them a more powerful caliber.  He also gave them bad advice about scopes and mounts.
The only deer I ever shot with a 25-20 dropped like it was struck by lightning.  But I sure wouldn't advise that as a deer cartridge.

Offline colt451911

too small
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 09:17:34 AM »
I have to agree with Lee D. here.  True the .243 is capable of doing the job.  Considering it is pretty much a necked down .308 it has enough power.  However, to take a larger deer down with one shot the placement has to be very good.  If these ladies get very good with the rifles then they probably wont have a problem, .243 still wouldn't be my first suggestion for them or even in the top five but they could do worse.  Unfortunatly becoming a good shot takes lots of practice, if they arn't already then I would highly recomend they get plenty before hunting.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 11:17:04 AM »
If they are not going to practice then they should not be in the woods, or anywhere else, hunting.  I dont care if they shoot .22's or 50mm.  But it still does not take away from the 243. :-)

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 02:41:33 PM »
I agree with Longwinters on this one.  They shouldn't be in the woods.  More power is not the answer.

Offline colt451911

.243 factory loads?
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 03:36:07 PM »
Just to clearify I am not advocating sending unqualified hunters into the woods with elephant guns.  However, it is obvious that a shot with a .243 will have to be placed better than a shot with a .300 to have the same effect.  If they can not place the shot exceptionaly well they should opt for something more powerful.  However, this is really a non-issue considering that they have already purchased the rifles and will be hunting with them.  It is important that they get as much practice as possible before hand, this would be true if they had chosen to buy .30-06s and is especially important with the .243.  Its also important that they are aware of their capabilities and not attempt to shoot a deer from a longer range then they are capable of hitting an organ from.

Offline Dave in WV

.243 factory loads?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 04:00:18 AM »
I've given the .243 debate some thought and have decided many hunters now use Nosler BTs for better knock down power  for a quicker kill. I hunted several years with a 30-06 before I bought my son a .243 for his first rifle. After he got his first two deer and especially the second one I bought one for me. I have taken several deer with my .243 using 100gr Core-Lokts in my hand loads. Using Core-Lokts in both rifles I got a quicker kill with the .243 than the 30-06 and this includes several neck shots with the 30-06. The exit holes were about the same diameter and no more bloodshot meat from one or the other. I saw a spectacular kill by my son using my old 30-06 he got from me using a 165gr Nosler BT. There was more ruined meat from the 30-06 load he used and it is not a hot load. Shot placement is just as important with a 30-06 as it is with a .243.
--Albert Einstein

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 05:59:28 AM »
WHAT!!!!!!, You can buy Factory Ammo  :-D  What is this world comming to. :eek: . Sorry I just could not resist I'm between ML and Rifle Seasons and my since of humor is strained.  :)
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
.243 factory loads?
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2003, 06:28:43 PM »
MyRem 700 likes Winchester 100gr powerpoints. I've taken a number of deer out to about 300 yds and have never tracked more than 40yds with several dropping in thier tracks.

A lot of folks badmouth the .243/6mm's as being too small for deer. I'm of the opinion that with a good bullet and proper placement it will take any deer in north america.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower