Author Topic: The new mortar has arrived  (Read 743 times)

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
The new mortar has arrived
« on: August 01, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Another Dom GB mortar was delivered  at 4:30 PM CT.

Mortar and owner (my son-in-law) are doing fine.

Now the wife wants a bowling ball mortar!!!!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: The new mortar has arrived
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
Well I would call him a happy camper!  ;D

Tell his wife she has to work up to a BB mortar.........

First it's the Golf ball mortar

second is the soda can mortar

then the BB mortar

then the water jug mortar

then the beer keg mortar...........
::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
no matter how your mind may eventuatly think   ;D"....maybe i should build some crazy expensive big asced mortar"  ,      ".....do not...seek the treasure , ..it is a trap .."

but something like a nice somewhat reasonable thing ...like a bowling ball motar  ???  ...no bigger ...

thats a sweet mortar , it looks like it has a very happy owner ! dom made , he's good to good , with some help from his freinds . 8)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:55:19 PM »
Gary,

I always wanted a bowling ball mortar. I was glad to provide consulting as South Paw built his mortar. I was pretty excited to watch his build.  Then it came time to move it out to the firing line. Hernia city! And that's just the mortar. Then there was the balls.  Okay, okay, you won't shoot that often so it doesn't matter.

You bet you won't shoot that often...loads are measured in ounces, not grain.  1.75 ounces for a 100 yards. That's 9 shots a pound.  But you aren't going to just shoot 100 yards. 600 yards requires 3.5 ounces. 4 1/2 shot per pound. 

Now after learning all this do you think I still want a bowling ball mortar?  You bet your sweet bippee I do!  Ther is something about watching a bowling ball fly of down range like that.  Unfortunately I don't think my retirement income is going to be able afford one.

No problem. I just call up Southpaw and say lets got shoot cannons. 

Right now the largest I shoot is the popcan mortar.  Shooting pop cans full of cement is fun, but round shot in pop can diameter puts it in an entirely different league. 170 Grains for 100 yards

Hopefully I will be shooting my 6 PDR mortar next week end, now that is step up.  Max load for the gun is 4 ounces. I am going to start with 400 grains.

Take a look what is on the line in Montana...

Brokenpole are you guys bringing that mortar Montana.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »
if i didnt mention it b4 i am bringing  my Sb 2.25" cohone  . with match ammo . ;D

honestly if i had the bucks i would LOVE to own a herns 8' seige mortar ...dictator thing ..it's a kit with all the hardware , the sled and good looking barrel . spiff it it all up and have a really nice .....2K lb thing ....to look at .....'true grit'   this rock candy isn't for eating , it's just for looking at .....

for 5K . 2Klbs ....

believe me when i say ...... thats ....thats only 1 ton .....easy money , piece o' cake  ,smooth move  ,......

thats enough , i've NEVER even seen a bowling ball mortar b4 .......but !!!! that should be the limit .... unless you've lost your mind .   and think that 2 lbs ...(40 bucks) per will flop some ..thing ....some where .

i should start taking bets on how far 'somethings ' will go per charge ....

i can not wait to see gods open country range where things like a bowling ball mortar are considered ......almost the biggest thing around  !!!!!! ;D

5k bucks ...thats kinda cheap , to what it could be ..... ;)

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:17:12 PM »
Do you have an adequate supply of bowling balls?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 05:42:29 AM »
Pray tell, what sort of maximum range can you get out of one of those?

I don't expect to have a mosque with one of those peckershape turrets complete with outside speakers built anytime soon near me but I would still like that info. Caliber/weight size would have to be within the capacity of a GMC Canyon to haul away.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:42:26 AM »
The Hern Iron Works copy of an 8" siege mortar weighs about 2000 lbs so it would probably require a trailer and crane (like Mike and Tracy have built for their Monster Mortar) for easy transportation.  Maximum range is hard to predict.  The originals fired a 45 lb shell and had about 1800 yards (bit over a mile) range.  The much lesser weight of a bowling ball would give a greater muzzle velocity but it would lose it faster because of its poorer ballistic coefficient.  It would also have a greater sensitivity to wind deflection.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Bowling Balls
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »
"Do you have an adequate supply of bowling balls? "

Well , one never has an adequate supply ....
I have 15 total , scrounging where I may . Shooting in to pond is a neat splash but tough to find a frogman for recovery ! :>) 

This Montana shoot is going to be a hoot !  :>)

That DOM Mortar is SWEET !   
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
I wish we could make it to Montana.  No luck this year since I am still very new with the company I work for.  This is also the time we do our annual examinations and that means no vacation for anyone from last of July till September.

Another bit of confusion to my first post...it is MY wife that wants the bowling ball mortar.  I told her that if she gets it the problems with transportation and setup are her's.  Yeah right...know that old trick won't work.  :D

I will post pics as soon as we have fire and smoke.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »
no, i dont have any bowling balls

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
Shooting in to pond is a neat splash but tough to find a frogman for recovery!

Put a tail with a float on each ball and then maybe you can recover them with only a boat.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
Shooting in to pond is a neat splash but tough to find a frogman for recovery!

Put a tail with a float on each ball and then maybe you can recover them with only a boat.

How deep is the pond? If you enlarge a thumbhole could you put some plastic streamer in it that would unfurl as the ball flies though its' arc?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »
Pray tell, what sort of maximum range can you get out of one of those?

When we've had cannon shoots here in Kaliforny bowling ball mortars have flung their balls over 1400 yds downrange. You can hear the fingerholes whistle as they fly through the air and hear them fall through tree branches before you hear them hit the ground. Most impressive!!! I've also seen them travel as little as 150 yds and they have been more accurate than some of the beercan mortars.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
Another bit of confusion to my first post...it is MY wife that wants the bowling ball mortar.  I told her that if she gets it the problems with transportation and setup are her's.  Yeah right...know that old trick won't work.  :D

That would be a big Honeydo list: load up mortar, unload mortar, bring me the ammo, etc...........

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 03:14:34 PM »
Good ideas .... Put a bobber and some fish line in Bowling Ball thumb hole  ....  then the grandkids could catch  15 lb'  Round fish !  ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .