Author Topic: 8mm Mag. reloading  (Read 242 times)

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
8mm Mag. reloading
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
  Hello all. I have been reloading for 30 years,usually stuff like '06,270,and 243 and a lot more standard calibers. All of these cartridges have been reloaded umpteen times with no problems because I never load Max but where I've had a problem is with my 8 mag.and it is the only belted cartridge I load. Again,I never load it hot but have had to discard many cases after as few as 3 firings due to splits in the neck/shoulder region. Am I doing something wrong with the belted case? Any help will be highly appreciated.  Kix

Offline rockislandrod

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 8mm Mag. reloading
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
Hello Kix.  I reload 8 mag. also and only get 3 or 4 reloads out of them. I thought that may be normal for the Big Boy...... Rod

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:58:32 AM »
Interesting, While I've not had the split neck problem I did have case head seperation after 3 to 4 firings. I'll give you my thoughts & results as maybe a answer to your problem.
     When firing brass for the first time I would I would run them through the resize die to true them up and then trim to length, load and shoot for groups, (woking up a load). On subsequent resizing I would partial resize by sight so as not to set the shoulder back to far. The problem still existed, 3-4 firings and throw away. I purchaced a stoney point, now Hornady, headspace gauge. A good investment as I found I was, by sight, setting the shoulder to far back, with the gauge I was now able to set the shoulder back precisley .002 everytime, problem solved? No way, still was happening.
      Thinking as rockislandrod, I thought it was just the nature of the beast and let it go as that. Of course that wasn't good enough, because I have reloaded and shot similiar cartridges, .300WM, etc, and never a problem. But, they were in different guns, so I took a new unfired case and measured it from case head to datum line, then measured a fired case. Difference was .020, fired case being longer and initialey stretching 20 thou. of an inch on the 1st firing, which caused the initial stretching, that cannot be reversed. (Please don't insert here about headspacing on the belt, doesn't happen that way.)
       Now if you are setting up your die as the mfg. tell you and do have an oversize chamber I can see where you might be getting your splits in the neck, before, a head seperation. Now a solution and you won't know until you try: 1st find out "if" you have a generous chamber as I've explained in the text. If you do, on initial loading, that is new unfired brass, do your prep work, won't need to trim yet, Then neck your brass up to the next caliber, .338 or better yet .375 and then back down to 8mm, there by creating a false shoulder to headspace on. Firing your loads this way will fireform your brass to your chamber without any stretching in the critical areas. Then resize as normal, being careful not to set the shoulder back more tha .002 and trim. It worked for me as I was able to, up until now, go on my 6th firing without anything bad happening. Yes I know it's a pain in the a$$, But it's really not a thousand round a weekend varmint ctg. anyway.
     One other solution, again assuming you do have a generous chamber is to send it back to Remington and tell them to set the barrel back, also don't take any of there bullsh!t that it is within SAAMI specs, send the proof. If you have problems with them, ask them if they need the press that one of their rifles let go due to sloppy tolerences. :o OR send it to a 'smith and they will take care of it. Myself, I just did the brass resizing as you only have to do it once anyway.
    This has been a long reply to simply checking your chamber dim. just might be it.
                                                        CRASH87

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:02:38 AM »
You may be setting the shoulder too far back on resizing. When you set up your sizing dies,NEVER seat them to touch the shell holder as per instructions. Start with the die about two turns away from contact, then size and see if bolt will close on the chamber. Keep trying till the round chambers with just a little bit of resistance. This way the cases are formed to the chamber. If you are setting dies per the instructions.you may be creating excessive headspace making the brass stretch too much. Each rifle is a rule to itself.

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
  Thanks guys for your replies and I will try your recommendations because I just bought some new brass and the stuff ain't cheap! I bought the 700 BDL back in '78 for the whopping sum of $209 so I'm probably still money ahead but we all want things perfect. In my mind it is still an awesome cartridge that should have gotten better press but it just could not surpass the time-proven .338. Anyway,thanks again.  Kix