Author Topic: 445 super mag pressure question?  (Read 943 times)

Offline stumped

• Trade Count: (0)
445 super mag pressure question?
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »
I have a SB1 frame with a 44 mag barrel. I have a 445sm reamer on its way and a little worried about the C.U.P, because I want to use win 296 or h110. I know its safe around 40k (I called H&R to find the pressure of sb1 frame and they would give that info) ,but would like to find the pressue of the 445 with 296 or h110, but its like trying to find primers. I can find reload info, but with out C.U.P. Also have a SB2 frame on my 223 and tried to fit it to my 44 barrel and there is a slight gap at the breech small enough if there is oil on it you can see the gap. I know I can clean up the pivot pin and close the gap(Like in the F&Q), but my problem is I don't want to make the 44 barrel not fit the SB1 frame when not shooting the 445s. My question is it ok to leave it on the Sb1 frame and is it ok to leave a slight gap if it locks up ok on the Sb2 frame or should I fit it to the Sb2 frame.   

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 445 super mag pressure question?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
MAX 445 Supermag is 40,600 PSI, do not know the CUP MAX.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:15 AM »
There is no SAAMI MAP for the 445SM, but pressure tested data for it goes well above what the frame is rated for depending on the load. Hodgdon shows data, but no pressures,  if you use data that keeps the pressure under 40kpsi, you should be fine, if you want to use full pressure loads, you should put the barrel on an SB2 frame.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stumped

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
Thanks guys. What about the slight gap between the barrel and the frame is ok? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
If the gap is between the standing breech and the barrel face, it needs to go back to the factory for a new barrel if it's factory fitted, if it's a second hand barrel, it needs to be fitted properly by them possibly or by you, that's covered in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain