Author Topic: Is this a Schultz & Larsen???  (Read 2240 times)

Offline wargunn

• Trade Count: (0)
Is this a Schultz & Larsen???
« on: April 04, 2006, 06:14:22 AM »
First of all ....Hi!...I´m new here so let me introduce myself.

I´m from Argentina and shoot since 15 yrs old, 28 yrs now. I´m an avid hunter and rimfire shooter who loves to modify long guns and handguns.
Last year I bought a single action rifle, very old, with nicks and rust, but incredibly beauty, I´ve always dreamed of a single action Ruger N°1, but cost of these fine firearms in my country is abusive, they run around
USD 1400.- for a N°1 and USD 1300 for a remington 700, and a normal salary (mine!) is USD 500 a month, so they´re a no-go option.
The rifle I bought costed USD 200.-, a real bargain, it´s a falling block, 30 inch barrel, 13 to 14 pounds (7kgs), adjustable buttstock (lenght and comb), chambered for .22 LR.
I don´t know who made it, but searching the net I found pictures of another falling block, a Schultz & Larsen that´s similar to mine but that has a normal stock, not a thumbhole.
Is the action strong enough to rechamber it to 6,5x55 or 7,62x51??? or I shoul leave it as it is now???, I´ve already free floated the handguard with an epoxy bed and sanding the inner channel that rested against the barrel,  so it´s really floated.

Here are some pics of "The Heavy Beast", I´ve put a 44 magnum bullet and a 7,62x51mm (308 win) so you can make an idea of the rifle action size.

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »
It took quite a bit to open these pictures, and some of them are so large that they never did open.
 I am unaware of a Schultz and Larsen that is this type of action. The only ones I am familiar with are bolt action design.
 From what I can make out, this seems to be a typical swinging block type action, and not the type I'd want to chamber for the calibers you have selected. There might be some lower pressure calibers that it would handle, but I'm not sure I'd try anything in a bottleneck high pressure case like a 6.5x55 cal.
 The action has some similarities to an Aydt, but it is not that type. It does seem to have a "German" look to it, but I looked through 5 different single shot rifle books in my library, and could not find one that matches exactly. Wish I could tell you what it is for sure!
Ballard, the great American Rifles!

Offline wargunn

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:53:17 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply Marlinman!!! :D

I´m very sorry for the pics size...I thought it was a Schultz & Larsen because I´ve seen a pic in a site that looked exactly like my rifle, but the stock was different. The site is from an auction

http://www.widforss.se/auktion/auktion_h04/kulgevar.html

It´s the number "201 Bild KULGEVÄR", and it says that is made in Otterup (the same marking as mine) that it´s a fallblock action, that´s why I tought it was a falling block. :lol:

What caliber do you think it´s posible to rechamber it...45-70 ???(smokeless), 223 rem ???..........You think the action won´t resist a high CUP (46,000 for the swede), could it take 28,000 CUP (45-70)???.

Thanks again for your time!!! I would love to know what I have in my hands!!!

Offline measureDK

Re: Is this a Schultz & Larsen???
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
I know it's an old topic !!

The rifle is made by GEVÆRFABRIKKEN OTTERUP - SCHULTZ & LARSEN (Denmark). Model is M36.
Production startet in 1932/33. The rifle was primary used by danish shooting associations. Was used during the olympic games 1936 i Berlin. Only a very few survived the II WW here in Denmark.
Most common caliber is 6,5x58R and 8x58R (R=Rand).
Last week I had one like yours in my hand. The serial no consisted of one diget only.

I am very interested in knowing the serial no of yours