Author Topic: Smith rear sight BC 45-70  (Read 498 times)

Offline duckmorgan

• Trade Count: (0)
Smith rear sight BC 45-70
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »
I have an interest in the Smith sight that has the buckhorns and the flip up ladder. I know the ladder has windage and elevation, my question is how do you sight in the buck horns?  Do the buckhorns move along with the ladder for windage and then you just need to use a file to cut in you elevation you want at whatever distance you want as the constant?  And what is the max distance before you file the buck horns, (say on average as I know if depends on bullet weight ammo etc.). I have been shooting the leverlution ammo and like it but the peep sight is hell on the eyes at low light levels. THanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Smith rear sight BC 45-70
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
The only windage adjustment is done by drifting the whole sight in the dovetail, that applies to both the ladder and the buckhorn.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18735/Product/WESSON___HARRINGTON_LONG_RANGE_SIGHT

Precision-machined, buckhorn, rear sight and base include screws that fit the holes in your Wesson & Harrington rifle for drop-on, no gunsmithing installation. Slider has a detent that lets you feel each adjustment; setscrew locks into place. Ladder has side markings so you can easily repeat the right yardage settings. Drift adjustable for windage; setscrew locks your setting.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline duckmorgan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:12:24 AM »
Quickdtoo, can you adjust the elevation on the buckhorns?  Do you have a rough estimate what the range is with the buckhorns.  Meaning are the buckhorns going to be a 50 to 125 yard sight that I can hold high or low to get my elevation. I understand the dovetail and drift for windage thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »
No, it's fixed, depends on the load, I've seen dead on at 100yds to 2" high at 100yds. You could lower impact slightly by filing the top of the notch down, you could also change the front sight insert to move impact up or down.

Tim

Offline duckmorgan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:09:34 AM »
Thanks I follow, I just hoped it was designed to be a shorter range sight as I intend to use it for hunting since the factor peep sight is no good at low light levels.  I may changed the factor globe front sight as well becuase of the low light factor.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »
I use the WGRS without the aperture or with a Twilight aperture and a Firesight front sight (see Peep and Firesights in the FAQs), it works great for any legal daytime hunting light, dusk or dawn, optics aren't legal here during muzzleloader season, that's my preferred combination and has worked for as long as they've been available, before Firesights I used the ivory tipped front sights, but Firesights are much better.  ;) FWIW, the Smith buckhorn is too close for old eyes to use, it's just a blur, the ladder works fine tho.

Tim

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
I echo that.  I can't see much if anything with the buckhorn BUT with the ladder I have no issues for the distances I shoot with my Black Powder Cartridge 38-55.  In fact, the ladder works nicely with my front globe sight with just about all of the inserts.  FYI, although expensive, this is a VERY well made sight.

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
 ::)  Forgot to add this:  The sight fits perfectly and I think looks great.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »
tim: Twilight aperture
which one fits the williams FP sight,I see they have a few different sizes?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
The only difference in them is the hole size and some have a longer threaded shank which is the better choice, biggest hole is best for low light.

Tim