Author Topic: Europe vs. USA & Japan  (Read 657 times)

Offline akpls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Europe vs. USA & Japan
« on: September 29, 2003, 11:52:34 AM »
Anybody have any in-the-field experience with European scopes?  Are they really that much better than the mid to upper range USA and Japanese scopes currently available for less $$?  akpls

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Europe vs. USA & Japan
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 02:04:16 PM »
Quote from: akpls
Anybody have any in-the-field experience with European scopes?  Are they really that much better than the mid to upper range USA and Japanese scopes currently available for less $$?  akpls
............To me its a matter of trade offs.......I have many Leupolds and for the money,weight,size and durrability they are very hard to beat.......I have had Lightforce...again if you want/need the large scope for long range and can stand the weight/size they are fantastic.....I also have Zeiss scopes and binocs that are super clear and dependable.......I have many Nikon cameras-consumer and pro series and lens from Nikon....again super glass......the Leica and similar are great...often heavy and made for the European late/night hunting.........if you need the large objectives or want the 30mm tubes and don't mind the weight and bulk..some are very hard to beat..clarity,exit pupil and adjustment range.......BUT for overall weight,price,size,durrability and warranty the Leupold american made scopes are hard to beat......for the money...spend more money and they can be equaled or beat.....but a glance at the benchrest equipment list or long range shooters equipment will show more Leupold than most others combined......Nightforce was the 50BMG shooters choice but many of them switched to Leupolds upper end LR,M1/3 and similar to get the durability ........Burris is usually good glass.........little personal experience with them......some of the appeal is that they are different and expensive.....but most are very good ....worth the money???????? that is a individual choice and opinion...imo....good luck and good shooting!!

Offline Zachary

Europe vs. USA & Japan
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 05:35:46 AM »
I agree with bigdaddytacp.

You really can't, or at least shouldn't, say that Euro optics are better than USA, or Japan, or vica versa.  Remember that every scope manufacturer has different levels of quality within there product line.

For example, Leupold LPS scopes are WAYYYY better than Nikon Buckmater scopes.  However, Nikon Gold scopes are WAYYY better than Leupold VX-II scopes.  You can't compare apples to oranges.

I believe that the Nikon Monarchs (and Golds), and Elite 4200s, and Zeiss Conquests are all very good scopes and very comparable with each other.  Now, I think that the Swarovski PH series is better than the Monarchs and Elite 4200s, but, surprisingly enough, not by much - at least not 2 or 3 times more the money.

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

Europe vs. USA & Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 01:58:15 PM »
I can't answer the question since I've never even looked through a euro scope much less owned one. I can say as good as the other scopes Zachery has mentioned are, if lost or broken you will be out less money to replace them and still will have had a great scope. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Europe vs. USA & Japan
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 05:33:55 AM »
Thanks for everyone's comments!  I suppose the reason I asked this question is because I recently picked up a Remington 722 in .257 Roberts that I plan to turn into my "project gun" and want to do something "different" with it.  I already have Leupold, Redfield, Nikon and Weaver scopes on various other rifles and thought I'd maybe give something exotic a try.  In the end I guess it will come down to just how "exotic" I want to be  and how much I want to spend.