Kimber Ultra Carry Ten II
2 (9.1%)
Springfield XD9 3"
1 (4.5%)
Other...
19 (86.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 19, 2003, 07:03:51 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Which pistol to purchase for concealed carry?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline TACOTRD03

• Trade Count: (0)
Poll: Which pistol to purchase for concealed carry?
« on: September 19, 2003, 07:03:51 AM »
I recently turned 21 (in july) and purchased a Kimber Stainless II.  Im going to college for criminal justice with the ultimate goal of becoming a military officer (probably airforce) and figured it would be a good idea to get some practice with a firearm.  Anyways I absolutely love my Kimber, but its too big and heavy for my tastes as a carry gun so Ive decided to purchase another pistol.  Ive narrowed it down to either the springfield XD9 3" or a kimber ultra carry ten II.  Please select which one you folks would recommend in my poll.  If you have another pistol that you'd like to recommend, please select other and specify below.  Keep in mind though, that I want something with a 10+ round capacity, a barrel of less than 3.5" and a weight of less than 25 ounces.  Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Offline TACOTRD03

Poll: Which pistol to purchase for conceal
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 04:57:23 PM »
No opinions/advice on this?  Forgot to mention that being a full-time worker and part-time college student means that price is of much concern.  The kimber is right at the edge of what im willing to pay, so nothing above say $700.

Offline TACOTRD03

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 06:14:25 AM »
Are the smaller glocks any better balanced than the fullsize models?  With the shorter slide Id imagine it should be better.  I got a bad taste in my mouth regarding glocks ever since I shot a friends G17.  It shot good and didnt have any malfunctions, but it just felt really top heavy.  I guess Ill have to go find a subcompact model and see if it feels any better.

Offline TACOTRD03

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 01:12:55 PM »
I got 3 votes for "other" and only one person who bothered to specify what they were refering to.  Are you others also referring to the glocks also.

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Give me a "shout"
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 01:30:32 PM »
TACOTRD03,

I have an associates degree in law enforcement and a masters, paid for by the Air Force, in criminal justice.  I've been an AF officer for 15 years now in security forces.  Please shoot me an e-mail with any questions.  I'll be out until the 27th bear hunting but will check e-mail when I get back.

Matt
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Mik1

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 06:55:52 PM »
You don't get 10+1 but IMHO the new KAHR PM9 is the best conceal carry 9mm.  It is very well made, very thin, and very accurate and can be ordered with factory installed Trij nightsites.  I have one and would not trade it for anything.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 03:40:08 AM »
Try a smaller framed Glock.  They do not have the "Ferrari" Maintenance requirements of a 1911 Style auto, and they are easy to learn on and carry.

<Army Non-Commissioned Officer (Couldn't pay me enough to be a Commissioned Officer.  heh heh)
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Robert

CZ-52
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 06:05:50 AM »
Fires factory ammo at about 1600 fps. and delivers 8 shots real fast.  Very dependable pistol, well built, and if money is a concern as you say, you can find them on-line for about 115.00 with holster and x-tra mag, or you camn hand pick one at ye old local shop for about 150-170 bucks.
....make it count

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 02:57:32 AM »
the poll has confirmed my own thoughts. there is no right gun or two or even three for any of us. it is kind of like females-we don't all fall in love with tha same one---or even bullets. shucks, that is why there are different kinds, even brands within calibers. me- i can't make up myownmind.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Look for more options
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2003, 03:40:27 AM »
TACOTRD03:  You limited yourself to only 3 options and there are more that haven't even been spoken to.  As williamlayton said, there is (or may be) no right gun or two or even three, and Robert gave you the option of a handgun that many make the mistake of overlooking.  

Your poll found 91% in favor of 'other', but only a few mentioned or suggested what that should be.  You also mentioned price and hoped to keep it below the $700 figure.  In this regard I will gladly follow Robert's recommendation with the CZ52, and add in one of my personal favorite inexpensive single action semi-autos, The Tokarev also in 7.62x25mm.  I would think that if you intend on serving in the military you just might encounter a lot more of the former Comm Bloc weapons than not.  You can also find aftermarket barrels for both the CZ-52 and the Tok in 9mm if you want a switch caliber option.  

This is just M2C, but there are a lot of other options availalbe out there for a full time employed fella who's working his way through school that will get you what you want or need and still leave lots of $ in your pocket.  HTH.  Mikey.  :grin:

Offline nfmMike

• NC better be America, S. Florida sure wasn't!
    • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 04:03:45 AM »
I would choose a revolver, but that is just me. Taurus has an interesting 2" .45 Colt available.

But, obviously that is not the choice to make if you want more than 5 rounds in the "magazine".
Semper Fi!
Mike

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 06:42:39 AM »
I bought a 2 tone Bersa 380 Thunder for $190.00 at a gun show, boy is it accurate !! nice and slim to sit in my waist band ( don't like holsters ). I have other semi autos but they are just to big to carry full time.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »
listed-in no particular order-are the ones i own.
1) .380 in a walther ppk and a german ppks
2).40 in a sig 229-soon to obtain the .357 barrel
3) .38/.357 air weight s/w-hammerless/snubbie

what would i wish for-alibieght don't need- ak, hk, thompson, .50 sniper.
kinda glad i don't have em either-couldn't afford to shoot em.
do not pratice much--shoot enough, i hope, to remain proficent, letal, safe,and confident.

changing bullets from gold sabers to a wad cutter as i have been convienced by post on this forum.

blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Laremm

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 06:14:15 AM »
I would reccomend a revolver also. A 357 will give you the all around round. You can load 38's if you want a lighter load or for the wife.

Dan Wesson revolvers have interchangable barrels, you can get a used one for very little (gunbroker.com)

I have the 2.5,4 ,6 and 8 inch barrels.

I carry a Springfield 1911 A! (Full size) in .45. I would reccomend any quality 1911.

I also own a Glock 22 (.40) its light, good power, reliable. Lots of options.

i would choose the 1911 over the Glock, but thats my choice.

I also own a .380, but if you want a gun you can carry and mabey compete in IDPA, go 9mm and bigger. You will be happier with the bigger round.

The average shootout last 3 rounds, dont worry about capacity (A revolver will do fine) go rent some at a range and see what feels the best.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
carry
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 02:11:25 PM »
1911 in 45 acp thats a carry gun.
Jim

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2003, 08:30:50 AM »
TACOTRD03,

With 30 plus years in law enforcement behind me my recommendation is go with the Glock in either a .40 or .45 caliber if you want a auto loader.  I don't care for the 9mm.  Seen them fail to stop a fleeing felon to many times to trust them.  If a revolver is in your future than go with Colt, Ruger or S&W in at least .357.  I won't let my wife carry a .38 sp., even with +P loads.  As far as price goes just shop around and you should be able to find whatever you want for under $500.00 in a excellent used weapon.  I was at my local sporting goods store yesterday evening and he has a Glock 30 in the case that like new, unfired, for $329.95 and it has a spare magazine.  Shop around and try a few before you buy.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline lilbiggun

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 08:51:11 PM »
I carry a G23. Not to small and not to big. With my corbons its a little "snappy" but you get used to it.