Author Topic: Picture of a coehorn mortar on carriage  (Read 4521 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Picture of a coehorn mortar on carriage
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
$125K.  Even that one had problems.  The "gun" part was all OK as you noted, but it was never made for that particular Navy carriage, or vice versa I should say.  When they finally got it all put together after fixing a small problem inside, the repro ammo box totally blocked rotation of the crank.  Also, the traverse stops on the top half of the mount never touch the bottom half of the mount where they need to in order to stop the traverse at either extreme where they are supposed to stop it.  I didn't catch that detail but a friend pointed it out to me.  Just proves that carriage was never intended to mount that gun.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »
125 large, it must be nice! Did you have any luck on anything?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
luck on anything?

I got away with the French iron cannon and mismatched US Navy carriage (the reason I bid on this lot)

Also, rifled b/l boat howitzer and smoothbore version of same; 3 pounder chain shot; cannon casting pattern aka match plate, for small cannons about 30 in. long, maybe 1" bore, and 1/2 of a US 6-pounder M1819 cannon that had exploded.

All the catalog estimates were higher than what stuff sold for, in some cases, like the cannons, a great deal higher. I think all their catalog estimates were "Antique Roadshow" values.

Their strategy of super high estimates paid off for the auction house since some of the phone bidders must have thought they were fair estimates, and they bid like there was no tomorrow.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »
That's great, Cannonmn! I know you wanted the iron gun and US naval carriage, I'm glad you got it.
You'll have to keep us clued in on what info you turn up on those two supposed Mann breechloaders; I wonder why one is rifled and the other smoothbore?
Does the M1819 6-pdr have a lot of historical signifigance?

I still can't believe someone paid 12½ grand for that mortar and bed/carriage rig.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »
why one is rifled and the other smoothbore?

The Dahlgren boat howitzers as used in the USN, which could be moved from boat mounting to field mounting had two calibers, 12 pounder smoothbore and 3.4 inch rifle.  This excludes the huge 24 pounder which was only used in shipboard mounting, no field carriage was designed nor planned for it.  Between the 12 pdr smooth and 3.4 inch rifled breechloaders, all of the Navy's landing gun capabilities could be covered. 

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Here's a mortar on a cart just standing around and also being fired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwnjJ5RZdM
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 01:33:09 AM »
Looks like they were lighting their fuse with matches or a cig lighter.  Near the end there was a guy ramming the ball down-unusual for a mortar.  This may mean they're using a "mortar" without a chamber.   Checkitout.