Author Topic: those wire reticled Weavers  (Read 343 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
those wire reticled Weavers
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
I have at least three of these and they all still work good.
-ruger carbine
-10/22

I got to thinking.....anybody know about what era those scopes came from?  70's? 

???

I have a Weaver 2x7 that is built like a tank on a savage 99 308.  It makes a maglite look like a toothpick. You could beat a door in with it.  The turret caps are deeply machine checkered.
It was rebuilt by that el paso dude and the sight picture is amazing. shoots good too.

then i have a weaver 6x on a 260  that is black and looks a little more modern like eighties maybe.  the tube looks like its pretty light and thin and it is black instead of the green/gray like the older ones.  It shoots good though, picture is good.  I think it has a duplex reticle.

there is a shop I know that has had a Leupold M8 for a million years for $250 and I always wanted it bad but never could bring myself to get it.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: those wire reticled Weavers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
   John  I am no scope expert so I am clueless about wire reticules but I assume you are referring to the old El Paso steel-tubed scopes of which I have a few and still find them excellent (as you) after almost 40 yrs. The only V9 I can actually date was bought in '71 and sits on a Rem.8 mag.I have two others,one on a Rem.600 243 and the other on a Mauser 98 in 257 Rob. The last two were bought on e-bay for around $65. In fact, I buy every V9 I see as long as the price is right. I have a 2x7 on a 30/30 and a 6x on a blackpowder TC.My oldest Weaver is a K8 on a Rem.81 and it has the machined turret caps like your 2x7 so I am safe to say it was made before '71.And I have various K4's on 22's and such but I guess my point is those old Weaver's are good scopes for their age.I let a K-12 get by me and my butt is still sore from the self-inflicted kicks! I also have some Leupold's but feel no more confident in them than I do the old Weavers.Wish I could have helped you with a much more expert answer.  Kix