Author Topic: Leading problems - need advice!  (Read 653 times)

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Leading problems - need advice!
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »
I've been trying for about 9 months now to get a good load together for a Ruger Redhawk, 45 Colt, 4" barrel using the RCBS-270-SAA bullet but have been having severe leading problems with everything but one load.  My goal is to get around 950-1000 fps and use it for close range deer this year.  The only load that doesn't lead for me is a very mild 5.3 grains of Titegroup, sized to .454 with a velocity of 730 fps.  Here's what I've tried so far:

Sizing to .454 and .452 with various powders - Titegroup, Longshot, Universal Clays.  All of these leaded badly when I tried loads that should have given me over 850 fps.

Slower powder - I had some 4227 on hand and loaded what should have given me around 1050 fps.  This load did not lead at all but there was so much powder, unburned or otherwise everywhere that I really didn't want to use it.  I dont' mind using a slower powder but I'd like one that burns more cleanly, I've had the same problem with 2400 as well in other guns.

The only lube that I use is a 55%/45% Yellow Beeswax/Vaseline mix that I use for paper patch lube as well.  I've used this lube exclusively for about 5 years now in my 45 ACP and a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt and never really had any leading problems. 

Alloy is straight wheelweights. 

The leading is primarily in the 1" after the forcing cone and the forcing cone itself is clean, I don't think the cylinder is misaligned. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Leading problems - need advice!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:27 AM »
Have you measured this revolver's cylinder throats? This is important, because every Ruger 45 I have ever worked with had throats tighter than the groove diameter of the barrel. If this is the case, it is going to lead exactly as you describe until they are opened up. On the other hand, revolvers will also lead if the bullet is too small. This is not likely to be a problem with that one, but a bullet should be a firm thumb press through the throats, not fall through. Check your dimensions here and most likely it is the cause of your grief. If not, things can be explored further. 
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jpuke

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:59:46 AM »
Would I even bother asking Ruger to open up the throats if they are too small? 

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:03:19 AM »
If the accuracy is what you want with the 4227 I, would go with it.  The deer isn't going to care if there is some powder residue in the barrel.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline big bore dad

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »
cylindersmith.com can open up your throats very a good price and turn aqround time is very quick.  I was having the same problem in my ruger .45 until I tried a slower powder as well 25.7 or h110 and no lead at all I tried 19.5 of lil gun and again no leading and they both left no extra powder behind

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »
could be a couple things. first your gun could be out of spec. Second is ball powders tend to agravate leading. third low pressures can sometimes cause leading especially in a gun thats out of spec. Forth and one that is sometimes overlooked is differnt primers can add to leading. Changing primers will change where your load makes its peak pressure in your barrel and this not only effects accuracy but leading as well. try about 10 grains of unique with a few differnt primers. that should get you in the ball park and if you still have leading its probably a gun problem. You also didnt specify what alloy your using. Rule of thumb is that if a gun is out of spec it will do better with softer alloys and if it is in spec it will about allways do better for accuacy and leading if the bullet is cast out of a harder alloy. Another thing is lubes. YOur lube is very low tech and probably not the greatest lube on the planet.   Try Something like javalina or lbt blue soft and you will have a much easier time controling leading then you will with vasoline. one last thing is what size are you sizing too. bigger is usually better but that can go to an extream too and ive seen where unsized bullets caused leading near the forcing cone. Last thing to check is where is it leading. If its near the forcing cone it is usually caused by a size problmem, either the bullet or gun. If it is toward the end of the gun it is usually an allloy, lube or barrel condition problem. Bottom line is a gun that is built correctly shooting a bullet that is sized correctly with a decent lube should never lead bad enough to effect accuacy with any powder at any level that your bullet is cast hard enough to stand up too. For the most part that means that even a ww bullet should shoot anywhere from 700 fps to 1300 fps without leading.
blue lives matter

Offline jbquack1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 05:24:34 AM »
I had a leading problem with by bisley in .45 colt.Forcing cone end was smaller than the muzzle.I lapped the bore, also i have excellent luck with Hodgdon hs 6 and that bullet.

Offline jpuke

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I've still got some work to do.