Author Topic: repair or replace my Simmons  (Read 635 times)

Offline 2eagles

• Trade Count: (0)
repair or replace my Simmons
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
worth repairing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 10 year old Simmons 3X9 scope. Not really sure of the model. I think it was a medium priced scope then. There is a large plastic / rubber "washer" behind the windage adjustment cap. I should say was, because it split and came off. I don't know if I should send it in for repairs, or just replace the scope.
I think Bushnell owns Simmons now and they weren't real nice to me on a bino gone bad replacement a while back. Funny thing is, if I buy a new scope, it will probably be a Bushnell 3200 Elite. I have owned two 3200's and really like them.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: repair or replace my Simmons
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
I'd probably try to replace the O rings if it is just behind the cap and keep it if it works.  Although I love Bushnell products, they really tried to leave me out to pasture with an old Bushnell Sportview I had. I know it was not an expensive scope at the time $80. They did finally replace it, but that was after I pitched a fuss and relayed my story on one of their message boards including this one.  Bushnell only seems to really want to stand behind the Elite versions. Although they claim that all their scopes have a lifetime warranty only the Elite ones are no questions asked.  They sent my old Bushnell back after I sent them the cash to just look at it. They said it had been abused, but that was not the case and I think it was just an out for them to not stand behind the warranty on a scope they no longer make. That made me furious, and I'm afraid you would more than likely head down that same path with them.  They did send me a Bushnell Banner for replacement, but that was after a great effort on my part to just not go away.  Even if they own Simmons, it is very unlikely they would want to stand behind one that they did not make. 

Lately I have good experiences with Mueller's customer service and I will have to use them again I'm afraid.  I have a 2-7 Multishot that has dust under the lens and I have no idea how.  Anyway good luck and if you decide to replace it, pick a make that has good customer support reviews in the event it turns south as almost all of them do at one point.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:07:21 AM »
If you can afford to up-grade , then now is your chance.    :)
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline 2eagles

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »
yesterday AM I could easily uprade
then in the afternoon, my Lab got his tail smashed in a car door (daughter feels horible)
vet bill so far.........  $278
the dog and I am both in pain

Offline Gavinator

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »
 If that "O" ring is between the turret and body, the scope will fog.
 Send it in and see if it's covered on the lifetime warranty, or on approval.

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:40:43 AM »
I returned a Red Dot scope to Bushnell with a note attached as to what was wrong. The note explained I had harmed the scope and was asking for a repair. I received a new Red Dot in the mail. This is not to say everyone will have this experience but I was very happy with Bushnell.
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.