Author Topic: Trailboss in 300-221  (Read 575 times)

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Trailboss in 300-221
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »
My daughter told me that she wants to shoot a deer this year.  She has come with me many times but she has been afraid of shooting.  I finally got her to go shooting with me and she did great with a 22.  We did not get to shoot anything bigger, mostly because of the noise.  I think I will try to get her to shoot a 223 with the trailboss loads.  At 1074 fps it should not be much louder than a 22.  If she does ok with that, I would want to move up to the AR in 300-221, the gun she would use deer hunting.  Anyone have any idea of a starting load for trailboss in that caliber? 

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Trailboss in 300-221
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
Curious as to what bullet weight and velocity you plan to load for hunting in the Fireball? I know it can be loaded up to close to 30-30 performance with the right loads.  I would think you'd want to load close to that energy level for an effective deer load. It all comes at a price. Energy = Recoil/Noise. If it's legal in your state, the 5.56 with heavy bullets might be a better choice. Good electronic muffs might be the answer to the noise problem. Interesting cartridge the 300 Fireball! Bet it is pretty tame with subsonic loads. Can't help with Trailboss data, but I might just have to pick up some Trailboss and try some reduced loads in my plinkers!
Good Luck,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »
I guess I should have included that.  I have one of 1/10 uppers that shoots Nosler BT 125 grains under one inch all day.  Near Max load of H110, about 2200fps in my rifle.  Any faster than that and I blow primers.  I have used it and have had great success with it  It has killed white tails, pigs up to 120-130lbs, and one axis buck, all one shot kills, most all dropped where shot.  I have never used a 223 deer hunting.  I have a 222 Rem Mag AI for a Contender I had thought of using but I was not too sure of using the small caliber.  I was leaning to the AR for two reasons.  First the recoil is minimal with the semi auto.  Second, it has a collapsible stock that may fit her better.  One thing about the 222 is that there is some data from the Hodgdon site on using  Trailboss in the .223.  That would give me a starting point and she could get used to shooting that rifle and work loads up.  What weight bullet would you use in 22 cal?

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
Must confess, I've never hunted deer with the 5.56. If your ARs are a 1-9 twist like mine, I'd go with the heaviest constructed bullet I could find in the 70-80 grain weight range. The AR is a great platform for all the reasons you mentioned. Your load with the Nosler 125s should be a good deer round. Recoil should be quite manageable for a new shooter. It might your best choice for your daughter's first hunt. With good hearing protection of course! It's always great to pass on our hunting tradition to the younger generations. Best to you both.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
I have never seen jacketed bullet data for trailboss.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
Billy, Hodgdon has a 223 load with a fmj in their loading data.   4.0 gr of trailboss with a 55 GR. HDY FMJ, for a velocity of 1074 fps.  That may be a good load to start with, should be quiet enough.
You are right, though, have not seen any other loads for a jacketed bullet, and  I would rather not shoot a cast bullet in an AR.