Author Topic: Make Pure Copper Bullets at Home?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Make Pure Copper Bullets at Home?
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »
Those photos of the Thor bullets in the other thread were pretty impressive. Especially the mushrooming. But the price on those bullets is equally as impressive, LOL!

Anyone know if it's possible to make pure copper bullets at home without a blast furnace, LOL!?

Seriously though, can or is it done?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Make Pure Copper Bullets at Home?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »
Not cheaply. You can do like Barnes and buy your swaging equipment then buy the raw material in proper form and start turning them out. Or you can buy a life time supply from them likely for less money.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
OH Well, LOL! Guess it's lead for me. :D

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:20:22 AM »
Thats why they are costly.  Materials and the making process. Its a small business and it adds up quickly. You figure though, if you're shooting Powerbelts, the Thors hold up 99-100% better with an unlimited powder charge, where as the Powerbelt has a limited powder charge and cost the same but have many limits in order to safely use them.

Costly for every day range shooting, but we're talking about a hunting bullet.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:26:12 AM »
You could buy bar stock and turn them on a small lathe real easy.

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
I had a couple bullet ideas last year and actually looked up the cost of setting up a small-scale swaging operation for copper jacketed bullets.  I figured around $10,000 to do any significant number of professional quality.  And that's with a hand press!

Now pure copper, I'm sure that's even more expensive as the pressures involved would be higher.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »
I had a couple bullet ideas last year and actually looked up the cost of setting up a small-scale swaging operation for copper jacketed bullets.  I figured around $10,000 to do any significant number of professional quality.  And that's with a hand press!

Now pure copper, I'm sure that's even more expensive as the pressures involved would be higher.
I could see that being a problem!
I'm interested in the weight differences...and the ballistic issues, lead jacketed vs. a solid copper alloy.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
You could buy bar stock and turn them on a small lathe real easy.

That idea has occurred to me. What I wonder about, is how much effort it would take to make consistent bullets.

No doubt if you want to spend plenty of time with a micrometer and being careful, you could do it though.

But the time burn would probably make just buying the Barnes bullets reasonable at that point.

I guess if one got luck and round copper stock of the right size were available, just creating a tool to grind the points and possibly a hollow base might actually work. No doubt recreating a the Barnes type hollow point would be somewhat more iffy.

Suffice to say, seems like handworking each bullet that way would be time consuming. Just sticking with a good lead mold probably is the easiest thing to do. Could be an interesting experiment though, to be sure.