Author Topic: 45 or 357  (Read 661 times)

Offline usmcbeck

• Trade Count: (0)
45 or 357
« on: October 01, 2003, 04:28:52 AM »
I am looking at getting a new gun andI was wondering which has the most stoping power.  Is there one out there that is better than these two.  I just want something better than my P-89 9mm and my S&W 38 Special.  Any and all oppinions appriciated.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
45 or 357
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 04:51:14 AM »
Either the .45 or the .357 mag will do a fine job for personal protection.  The real question is whether you prefer a semi-auto or a revolver.  If a semi-auto is preferred, you want a .45, easy answer.  If you tend to prefer a revolver, a .357 Mag revolver will be much more common and easier to find, but they do exist in .45 ACP.

Offline usmcbeck

Thank you
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 05:14:20 AM »
I have always prefered Semi but my wife only has revolver I think she may be changing my preferace.  Thank you for your oppinion

Offline broken arrow

45 or 357
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 07:46:45 AM »
There are a ton of different loads available in either platform, semi auto or revolver. If you are an inexperienced shooter and your wife may be required to use the gun, a six shot revolver chambered in .38 spl. will do the job nicely. It's point and shoot simplicity, threat ending power, and lack of overwhelming recoil and muzzle-flash make it a no brainer! If you are more experienced, any quality semi-auto with larger than a .380 acp. but smaller than .50ae. will suffice. With whatever weapon you decide on, practice- practice- practice and take time out to learn the laws governing the use of deadly force in your state.
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
45 or 357
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 11:44:25 AM »
If you are buying a gun strictly for self-defense I think the S&W 640 357 revolver is about tops. This gun has an internal hammer. If need be you can shoot this gun from inside a purse or jacket pocket if you don't have time to draw. No hammer to snag on things and no slide to worry about. The 640 is the gun I chose for self-defense.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott