Author Topic: Military Crimp Removal on 223 brass Questions?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Military Crimp Removal on 223 brass Questions?
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:41:08 AM »
I'm thinking about buying some more 223 brass and I usually buy once fired winchester 223 brass online.  I know there are a lot of crimp removal tools out there but it is really needed?  I've reloaded some winchester crimped 223 brass before without fooling around with a crimp removal tool and am just curious about how needed these tools are.

What do the experts have to say?

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Military Crimp Removal on 223 brass Questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
I've found that the right size Phillips screwdriver bit in a cordless drill makes an EXCELLENT crimp removing tool for small primed cases

Offline INresponse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
If the crimp is still there, your primers may be difficult, or near impossible, to press in place.

It can be a pain, but you will be happy you removed the crimp. 
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-

Offline Casull

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
I'm not sure about .223, but I had a 100 rounds of PMC ball ammo that I originally bought when I bought my Savage 30-06 about 25 years ago that had the crimped primer pockets.  I didn't bother with removing the crimp, but just primed them with the Lee hand primer.  Made my thumb sore, but after 3 or 4 loadings they began seating much easier.   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
The best way to handle crimped primer pockets is to swage them back into shape. This way no brass is lost or removed weakening the case. Both RCBS and DILLON make excellent tools to swage the pockets.

Yes you can carefully remove the crimp with a "space ship" deburring tool Or a phillips bit as krochus suggested. But if your not careful you can damage the case.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »
Well, you can gorilla them in if you like. I find it much easier to remove the crimp. A swagging die is inexpensive, and will insure primers are seated properly in the pocket. The force required to prime without removing the crimp frequently deforms primers. Some to the extent of causing misfires. Not a good reloading practice in my opinion.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
CW I just had to remove the sewage from your post cuz it got to smelling bad.  :o

I agree tho the swaging tools are fast and best. Mine is an RCBS. And yeah the really should be removed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »
CW I just had to remove the sewage from your post cuz it got to smelling bad.  :o

I agree tho the swaging tools are fast and best. Mine is an RCBS. And yeah the really should be removed.

LOL :-[ :-[ :-[ Thanks Bill.  :-[ :-[ :-[  Guess my google spell checker don't like that word.  ::) ;D ;)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:34:57 PM »
ive reloaded a lot of crimped primer shells by just deburring the pockets with a "spaceship" tool.occasiaonally yu will get a loose pocket but have never had any primers back out or anything. am i doing it wrong?

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
ive reloaded a lot of crimped primer shells by just deburring the pockets with a "spaceship" tool.occasiaonally yu will get a loose pocket but have never had any primers back out or anything. am i doing it wrong?

Back when I first started reloading, I used a pocket knife to remove the crimp. Still have the scars to show for it. Bottom line, it worked ok. That is, I was able to prime the cases. Some loose, some so tight I crushed a few primers. The swagging die from RCBS is inexpensive, easy, does a good job, and prevents a lot of bleeding. Your choice.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
Another tool that will cut out the crimp are most case mouth deburring tools. Cutting out the crimp will cause some cases to hit the wastebasket sooner though. I eventually bought an RCBS swager and it does a nice job, but when doing large rifle primer pockets I think the force required can be pretty hard on your press.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »
I did it 30 years ago with a small flat head screw driver.  Don't recall any problems.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
I just use my LEE case mouth chamfer tool.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 12:26:55 AM »
i use a dillon swadger. Ive done the lee thing without removing it in the past but found my accuracy did suffer a bit. I think what happens is you crush the priming charge and it losses its consistancy.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 02:36:18 AM »
Another tool that will cut out the crimp are most case mouth deburring tools. Cutting out the crimp will cause some cases to hit the wastebasket sooner though. I eventually bought an RCBS swager and it does a nice job, but when doing large rifle primer pockets I think the force required can be pretty hard on your press.

Not a quality press.  ::) ::) ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 03:44:39 AM »
I've used both my deburring tool, and a Dillion swadger. Both seem to work, although the deburring tool is what I use the most, as I can take it with me to shows, and when I'm in a motel room with nothing but the idiot box on, I can work on brass.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 06:58:12 AM »
I've used a RCBS swager tool for several years now. It has removed the primer crimp on several thousand military 223 cases with a old Lee Challenger press. IMHO it was $20 well spent. I've never had the first problem with it.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.