Author Topic: annealed necks on factory rounds?  (Read 299 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
annealed necks on factory rounds?
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:17:37 AM »
Ok, so i shot 40 rounds of Hornady ammo, and saved the cases for reloading. The loads that i used (for 6mm Rem) were as mild as possible, 0.5 grain above starting load. Yet, neck cases started to split when firing the first reloaded ammo. This did not happen with Remington brass saved from Remington ammo. 
What am i doing wrong?
Or, does Hornady not anneal the necks of factory ammo? Maybe the necks are harder, they don't stretch, they split? (They kind of feel harder when re-sizing)
What am i missing?
Thanks.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: annealed necks on factory rounds?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
I don't think your missing anything, I say your likely spot on. the Hornady brass tends to be harder altho I have loaded many and haven't seen a consistent problem with splitting.  Rem is VERY soft and usually only splits when it really gets "work" hardened. BTW, what is the caliber?

Do you have allot of the Hornady stuff? Personally if you don't have too much I would just move on to another brand of brass.

Annealing isn't too hard, but why recreate the wheel here, one less thing to do and one that you really shouldn't HAVE TO be doing.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: annealed necks on factory rounds?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »
I think your Remington 6mm may be large in the neck area. When stretched that far a tougher Hornady case will split, but the softer Remington case will not. I sounds like you are full length sizing. If you neck size and only squeeze down the neck enough to get a good grip on your bullet, it may prevent your split necks, but again it may not. To get as much life as possible out of my cases, I use a neck sizer like the Lee collet die (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=562972) and when I can't I use a die that takes bushings that size it just enough to hold a bullet. When you full length size, you squeeze the neck down past enough to get a good grip on your bullets and then when the sizing button comes back through, you force the neck back out. I am not saying that it will solve your problem, but it could. If this is what is happening, even your Remington cases could prematurely split. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.