Author Topic: cat sneeze loads using cast bullets  (Read 5033 times)

Offline matthewquigley

• Trade Count: (2)
cat sneeze loads using cast bullets
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
cat sneeze loads are pistol rounds  fired in a rifle just under sonic speeds (700-800 fps)       3.5 grains of bullseye and a 140-200 gr semi wadcutter in my 357 handi rifle sounds like an air rifle , long barrel attenuates muzzle blast  but still hits with SERIOUS  authority,  accurate  1-2 inch groups at 20-50 yards
economical and quiet way to fill stewpot!  Grin   and pest control is serious fun!
has anyone else played with these?   have to use a cast bullet to avoid a jacket/sore separation  leaving a jacket behind as a barrel obstruction  :o
M. Quigley
            900 yards
                          O O
                         O     
                           O
H&R 223,25-06,308, 44,357    700VTR 308,  Ruger 77/44, Savage ML10

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: cat sneeze loads using cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
I shoot gobs of them in my M91 Mauser rebarreled to .35 Remington.  I also shoot thousands of Hornady  swaged lead .32 HBWCs or the Hornady SWC along with casting Lee's TL314-90-SWC in most of my .30 and .31 caliber rifles.  I use 2.7 gr Bullsey up through 30-30 capcity and 3.2 for larger cases.  I also use 210 HBWCs and 275 gr RNFN bullets in my 45-70s with cat's sneeze loads.

Larry Gibson

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »
I have played with it in the past.  Used Bullseye and 700X with toilet paper filler in 30-30 and 45-70.  I was trying different loads in a 45-70 and somehow leaded the throat badly.  When I finally get it cleaned up I will continue.  Those loads were very quiet but that 500 gr bullet hit harder than I would have thought.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
3 grains  of  bullseye  what  the  smallest red  lee scoop  throws
180 grain  LBT    WFN

is  my  load

heavy  lead is quieter

will  penetrate  22  inches  of  wet phone books

who  needs  a suppressor
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline matthewquigley

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
3 grains  of  bullseye  what  the  smallest red  lee scoop  throws
180 grain  LBT    WFN

is  my  load

heavy  lead is quieter

will  penetrate  22  inches  of  wet phone books

who  needs  a suppressor
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ilike it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M. Quigley
            900 yards
                          O O
                         O     
                           O
H&R 223,25-06,308, 44,357    700VTR 308,  Ruger 77/44, Savage ML10

Offline Nobade

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
Yep. 1.5 - 2.0 gr. Clays and a 535gr. pure lead Postell in my 45-70 is quieter than my air rifle and hits harder than a 357 mag. They'll go clear through a deer at 50 feet easy....
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »
Cat sneeze loads?  Yeah, I have had a great time with my 30/30 Marlin Cowboy with a 24" barrel.  My shooting buddies think I'm only using a Primer to expel the bullet out the barrel.  I have a Saeco 630 mold that puts our a great little 138 grain 30 caliber plain base bullet.  I can get it up to 1460 fps with 8 grains of unique and a Large Pistol Primer.  I size the bullets to .310 nose first in a Star Lubrisizer.

No recoil and low noise.  I won't even tell you how far I shoot them with deadly accuracy.  You wouldn't believe it.  Of course, the wind and mirage has to be dealt with.

I have shot 38 specials in my 357 Marlin rifle with 3.5 grains of BE with a 158 grain plain base SWC.

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
I just went and tried some  bullseye in a 45-70 trapdoor carbine with a 20 inch barrel.  I used as cast (.459) 450 grain bullets, started at 3.0 grains, not loud, but definitely not quiet enough.  Tried 2.0 gr, still too loud.  Last try was 1.3 grains - not very loud, and the bullet went through a 2X6.  I was going to keep going down on the powder charge, but it got dark. 

Last month I was playing with a 300-221 with a 16 in barrel, trying to get quiet loads.  I was using 110 grain cast bullets.  Started at 3 grains of bullseye, kept going down and finally stopped at 1.2 grain.  It was about like an air rifle, and the bullet went through the 2X6 target.

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
I shoot a Lee CTL312-160-2R without the GC out of several different rifles a K31, Ishy Enfield, and a P17 with 9 grains of Trail Boss for a load right above the speed of sound.  Trail boss was made for cast bullets and it takes up lots of case volume so no need for filler.  You could lower the load the insure you stayed below the speed of sound.  With my K31 and the rear sight set to 600 meters small varmints are toast at 100 yards. 

By the way I call them bunny fart loads!

More info here
http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/trailbosskiss/index.asp

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
Aren't these loads to low in volume to fill the case?
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline mrloring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »
Aren't these loads to low in volume to fill the case?

Yes but you don't need to "fill" the case?  My standard 38 special loads don't come close to filling the case.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »
I didn't mean 100% density, but aren't you supposed to maintain at least 50% to insure proper ignition if the load shifts in the cartridge?
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »
Not necessary with powders like bullseye that are so easy to ignite. A couple of grains burns up in a heartbeat no matter where it is in the case. 
H08

Offline mrloring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
I didn't mean 100% density, but aren't you supposed to maintain at least 50% to insure proper ignition if the load shifts in the cartridge?

That is why I like Trail Boss, really fluffy stuff.  A standard 1 lb bottle only holds 9 ounces.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
Not only have I shot these loads, I killed a coyote outside my backdoor with a subsonic 38 in a 357 Handi.  None of my neighbors even looked out a window.  The same load in a 2" pistol would have alerted everyone.  The coyote didn't know the difference.  148 gr. wadcutter to the cranial cavity put her to sleep forever.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »
I just had to get in on this!  After reading this thread, I immediately went to my reloading bench to experiment.

I grabbed a few RCBS 180 grain cast bullets to test in my 30-30 Contender carbine.  I started with 3.0 grains of Bullseye and got some pretty impressive results.  Then I started gradually decreasing the powder charge.  I got all the way down to 1 grain of Bullseye!  Sounds like an air rifle going off!  I got about a 2" group at 25 yards.

Plip-----whack!   Plip-----whack!  "Plip" when the gun was fired, "whack" when the bullet hit the target!  The hammer hitting the firing pin was almost as loud as the report!  All I can say is that if you are experimenting with "ultra-low" velocity cartridges, be sure that the bullet actually leaves the barrel before you fire the next round.

I can see this being a deadly combination in my little "short-patch" this deer season!  25 yard head shots, no messed up meat.

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
COOL!  I tried 2 grains of Red Dot in my 30-30 carbine Contender with the 180 grain RCBS cast lead bullets.  I can literally see the bullets flying through my scope, and all of them are going through one little hole!  Amazing!

I shot at an old steel culvert (I know there's a risk of ricochet), the bullet just disintegrated, but made a nasty dent in the side of the culvert. Pretty potent load!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »
 A nice neighbor of mine thought that these loads would be great for those cold rainy winter days/evenings.He put a target in the back of his basement thinking the wall would stop the SLOW bullets. He was WRONG!! He did some real damage to the blocks and had at least one ricochet! The gun was a 30-30 bolt gun.

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 01:18:41 AM »
Nice Neighbor needs to wake up
IMHO he should have never taken the second shot
Probably the first was just as wrong
Wonder why he didn't test it in a safer place first
Or stop after the first one damaged anything  ???
Tommyt

A nice neighbor of mine thought that these loads would be great for those cold rainy winter days/evenings.He put a target in the back of his basement thinking the wall would stop the SLOW bullets. He was WRONG!! He did some real damage to the blocks and had at least one ricochet! The gun was a 30-30 bolt gun.

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 02:21:32 AM »
Yep, since the idea is to use very heavy bullets, the momentum of the bullet does the work, not the speed.  I shot that rusty old culvert from about 40 yards, but only once.  Common sense took over and I decided not to do it again.

Makes a really big "PLANG" though!

Offline mb4859

• Trade Count: (1)
  • First Blood
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 03:29:33 AM »
What would you use for a 10" 44 magnum load?
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
- Ronald Reagan

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »
What would you use for a 10" 44 magnum load?

the heavyest cast  slug  you have  [no  gas checks or jackets]

3 grains  bullseye

seat the bullet as  deep as you can
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
In my very limited experience, it seems that tumble-lubed bullets seem to work very well.  After I tumble-lube mine, I punch them through a Lee sizing die.  I think I read somewhere that the sub-sonic loads work best when the bullet is good and greasy, even to the point of using black powder lube such as SPG or White Lightning, pure lard, etc.  I'm using Lee Liquid Alox, works for me.

I know from my experience shooting black powder cartridges, the bullet needs to be really greasy to keep the powder fowling down.  Makes that big ole' bullet slide down the barrel easily, and makes it easy to clean all the funk out of the barrel.  I guess sub-sonic "smokeless" loads would be sorta the same.