Author Topic: Fort Stanwix Cannon  (Read 647 times)

Offline Alangaq

• Trade Count: (0)
Fort Stanwix Cannon
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
here are a few from Fort Stanwix near Rome NY.  Sadly I was not there on the one day each month that the fire them!
“I have come to the harsh conclusion that there are only two truths I know for sure.  There is a God.  And I’m not Him.”  The Priest from the movie Rudy

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Fort Stanwix Cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
I'm guessing the last one at least, is a repro, don't you think?  It is just waaaay too smooth for an old iron gun.  Also the rings, astragals, whatever between the trunnions and the vent don't look like they belong there-I can't think of any old tubes I've seen with that arrangement.

Nice photos, keep 'em coming.

Offline Alangaq

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
I am sorry… I couldn’t say if this one, some of them, or perhaps even all of them, are or are not reproductions…  At this point, I am pretty much just an “enthusiast” regarding cannons, and my knowledge is really quite limited.  I didn’t happen across any documentation at the fort that indicated one way or another… :-\
“I have come to the harsh conclusion that there are only two truths I know for sure.  There is a God.  And I’m not Him.”  The Priest from the movie Rudy

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
Stay enthusiastic  :) Always someone on here gonna look at your photos,will usually arouse someone's interest..........keep posting .
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
The photos that allow for a close view of the barrels, all seem to be showing reproductions, but I think its a very good thing that some money was spent to at least show visitors artillery, its a shame that some of our historic forts have next to nothing to display. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
I didn’t happen across any documentation at the fort that indicated one way or another

Sometimes the only info available at those places is the docents , rangers, whatever, if it is un-personned, then you are indeed out of luck.

I saw an M1841 12-pounder mountain howitzer recently at Ft. Washington MD.  It had all the correct markings but something didn't look exactly right, but I couldn't put my finger on it, based on my having seen dozens of originals.  I had to ask the ranger and they assured me it was a repro.  I then asked, since they had put all the correct marks on it to make it indistinguishable from an original, how people 100 years from now would tell it wasn't original.  She said they had put their property marks underneath it.  Of course that was in an area you couldn't look at due to the carriage.  I was quite surprised they had no sign of any kind near the thing.  They had another bronze replica or two, laid in a row with some original and some fake iron tubes, no signs of any kind.  ??

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
its a shame that some of our historic forts have next to nothing to display.

Right.  It is a double shame that some places, like the Washington Navy Yard, have nearly priceless bronze trophy cannons that the markings to corrode off of.  Too bad someone with some clout doesn't "reassign" those tubes to historic places that would either put them indoors or maintain them properly outside.

My unanswered letter sent to the Admiral in charge over two months ago asks if one of the historic organizations I'm in might be able to assist them somehow.  I can understand if they dont' have the resources to maintain the cannons themselves (even though I suspect they have never included it in their annual budget request.)  However I cannot accept that they will not permit anyone to help.  To me this is more than gross negligence on their part.  Burns me up!

If you want to help, write your congressman, watch some of my detailed videos showing the ongoing damage to the cannons at the Washington Navy Yard.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
thats a good idea Cmn . lord knows they'd probably love to talk about something other than mad citizens and health care .

this could be a crisess ,and not to be wasted ,  8) :o im in .

they almost recognize my voice by now . ;D

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline exlimey

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 02:59:24 AM »
All of these were made for the 1976 Bi-Centennial by; what was then Adirondack Machine Corp / Champlain Cannon Works. I cannot remember but "I think" these two were 4Pdrs or 6Pdrs and are copies of extant 18th century pieces. They are still in business and are the Company that made much of the re-pro artillery for the National Park Service back in the mid 70s.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »
Thanks for the information, Exlimey; and welcome to the forum.

Champlain Cannon Works Catalog of 1976

Softcover measuring 8.5 by 11 inches and composed of 16pp.  Illustrated with photographs and detailed plans of cannons.

Champlain made some of the finest Revolutionary War cannons and subsequently won the bid to supply Historic battlefield sites with period type cannons.  The catalog list various sized cannons, howitzers and bronze guns and carriages with a price list at the back of the catalog.  A brief history of the use of each type of weapon is included.

A Fine copy.  Sharp, clean and free of damage.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.