Author Topic: weaver 2.5  (Read 448 times)

Offline saltysenior

• Trade Count: (0)
weaver 2.5
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

I have an older savage 99 .300, that has an older weaver 2.5 scope .....the scope does not work well in low lite conditions......are the newer weavers any better ??? i would change scope brands if there was something that would not look any larger on the rifle....still want it to look like a 99...

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: weaver 2.5
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
Though probably not exactly what you are looking for, I just bought 2 weavers.  A 3x9AO rimfire and a 4x14AO Classic or V I believe.  I'm usually a Leupold VX-II or III guy but these were highly recommended.  They are more than I expected, so I do believe a new Weaver will be just fine.   BTW...I'd buy another weaver if I needed it.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:26:51 AM »
Your old Weaver probably needs cleaning and recharged with nitrogen.  Send it to ABO optics, they do a great job.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:37:55 AM »
Those old Weaver scopes are collector items and have value. Back in those days the optical coatings didn't compare to whats available today and the small diameter of the objective lens also limits light gathering capability. They are 7/8" diameter as compared to todays 1" diameter scopes. Depending on the base you may be able to replace the rings with modern 1" rings and mount a new scope on it. You can then hold on to the vintage scope or sell it off. You also have the option to drill and tap for a new base or have a new base installed in the existing holes. I have a model 99 in 300 Savage and Leupold rings fit in place of the existing rings that held the old weaver scope.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »
Got a 1.5 and a 2.5  K Weaver. both are true 1". Never given any problems on any rifle. They are not great in poor light but that I can live with. Jumping zero or fogging up I cannot.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.