Author Topic: Bronze mortar named "Washington" in Seville, Spain  (Read 774 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Bronze mortar named "Washington" in Seville, Spain
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »
The story here is in Spanish and I can't seem to find it in computer-text form so I can get an automatic web translation; unfortunanately they put it in PDF form.  Anyone who would like to translate the story of the Washington mortar is more than welcome to do so!  This must be a "best kept secret" in Spain, I've never ever heard anything about the Washington Mortar.  I'm sure I would have had it been in Madrid, but Seville is a bit off the beaten path for the average tourist.

You have to scroll down on the right panel to see the photos and story of the Washington Mortar.

http://www.asociacionbernardodegalvez.es/pagina.php?pag=4

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bronze mortar named "Washington" in Seville, Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:39 AM »
Here's some not very useful info from the site, that could be copied and translated.

Letter from the President
       It's a great satisfaction for me as president of the Cultural Association "Bernardo de Gálvez. Gálvez "welcome to our website.
       As known, the Count of Galvez was a major figure in the reign of HM Carlos III, Lieutenant General of his Armies and Viceroy of New Spain, was part of a large family of politicians, soldiers and diplomats born in the village of Macharaviaya Malaga.
       No apparent reason, the aura of notoriety of the Gálvez family became extinct with his death and continues to this day practically. This motif, forgetfulness, has been the trigger for a group of Malaga try to change that ostracism and intends to reach the Spanish Malaga society and the importance of the person whose work, courage, generosity and love for their homeland and King was able to conquer vast territories for Spain in America.
       His work in Louisiana, with victories over the English army, and material aid to the American colonists allowed the United States of America have the option of independence from the British crown.
       Interestingly, the same figure, known and admired by the American people, is a perfect stranger among the Spanish.
       Therefore, the Association, whose founding charter was signed in Malaga on May 1, 2008 is aimed at the dissemination, study and investigation of any historical event on the figure on which it is named, and their time and the transcendence that had its prominent involvement in the fields of military, political and social issues, in order to regain his memory and transmit it to the present and future generations.
       I invite you to know the content of our website and contact us with any questions or suggestions you want to send us.
       Sincerely
       Miguel Angel Galvez Toro. President

In memory and tribute to this extraordinary figure is in Malaga on 1 May, two thousand eight, under the name CULTURAL ASSOCIATION BERNARDO de Gálvez, Bernardo de Galvez, an organization of associative nature and non-profit, under the provisions of Article 22 of the Spanish Constitution, the Organic Law 1 / 2002 of 22 March regulating the right of association, Decree 152/2002, of 21 May, which approves the Regulation Organization and operation of the Register of Associations of Andalusia and other existing provisions given in developing and implementing this, and consistent regulatory provisions. It is therefore entered in the Register of Associations of the Ministry of Justice of Andalusia and in the Municipal Register of Associations of the City of Malaga.
The aims of this association are research, study and dissemination of any historical event on the figure from which it takes its name and of his time, and also the importance that was his outstanding involvement in the fields of military, political and social issues, with the aim of recovering the illustrious memory of Bernardo de Galvez and transmit it to the present and future generations.

BOARD OF THE ASSOCIATION
Chairman: D. Miguel Angel Galvez Toro
Vice President: D. Manuel Olmedo Czech
Secretary: Ms. Araceli Gonzalez Rodriguez
Treasurer: D. Francisco Cabrera Pablos
Vocal: Ms. María Dolores Casermeiro
Vocal: Ms. Haya Mirentxu Galvez
Vocal: D. Illa Rafael Peche
Vocal: D. Manuel Perez Villanúa
Vocal: D. Villas Siro Tinoco

Bernardo de Galvez

The British Period 1763 - 1784

In 1763, Britain finally gained possession of St. Augustine and all of Florida, but not by taking St. Augustine. As a provision of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Seven Years War (The French and Indian War), Britain gained the Florida Territory in exchange for Havana and the Philippines, which the British had captured during the war. The British split Florida into an East Florida and a West Florida with St. Augustine the capital of East Florida and Pensacola the capital of West Florida. On July 21, 1763, the Spanish governor turned the Castillo over to the troops of King George III, and nearly all the Spanish citizens of the town moved to Cuba.

The British would make a number of small changes to the Castillo, including its name, which would now be Fort St. Mark. With the departure of the Spanish from Florida, the British felt no great need to maintain the Fort in first rate condition because they held the all of eastern North America. This outlook changed greatly with signs of rebellion being seen in the Thirteen Colonies to the north.

With the start of the American Revolution, St. Augustine enjoyed new importance as the capital of King George's loyal colony of East Florida. In early 1775, the changes in view of the Fort's new status could be seen. Repairs were made to the gates and the well, and housing in the Fort was increased by adding second floors in some of the rooms because it became regimental headquarters for the area. The British also improved the defenses of the city and its approaches. At this time, the old Spanish monastery on St. Francis Street was also turned into a barracks to house the influx of British soldiers. Today, this building is still in the hands of the military as the headquarters of the Florida National Guard.

As a foreshadowing of later activities, the Fort and St. Augustine also served as a prison for a few patriots who had been captured in Charleston, including Christopher Gadsen, the Lieutenant-governor of North Carolina, and three signers of the Declaration of Independence--Edward Rutledge, Thomas Hayward, and Charles Pinckney.

As the Revolution raged on, Spain came to the unofficial aid of the American colonies by sending money, weapons, medicine, and military supplies. When Spain declared war on Britain in 1779, Bernardo de Gálvez, the governor of Spanish Louisiana, immediately attacked and captured the British forts along the southern Mississippi River. Then he moved against Mobile in British West Florida and captured it as well. The next target was Pensacola, and in two months of heavy fighting, it too fell. By keeping the British occupied in the Gulf of Mexico, the Spanish kept the British from sending troops and supplies to support their efforts against the thirteen colonies, and thus they played an enormous part in the success of the Americans in their war for independence.

Bernardo de Gálvez was the only officer on any side in the Revolution who came out undefeated. The Battle of Pensacola was among the longest and hardest battles of the American Revolution. Yet, this remarkable general is relatively unknown. Only a statue in Washington, DC and one in New Orleans, and a city in Texas (Galveston) stand in tribute to this man who helped win the American Revolution.

At the end of the war, the Second Treaty of Paris returned Florida to Spain. On July 12, 1784, Spanish troops returned to St. Augustine.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:15:18 AM »
In my re-enacting days I portrayed a Grenadier in El Regimento De Lousinia,

The Spanish played an improtant part in not only supplying the American Army,

it Resupplied the French after they lost so many supplies on the Atlantic crossing

before the fleet moved onto Yorktown in 1781 after the battle of Pensacola the

surrenderd British troops were paroled & sent to N.Y. they could not take part in

hostilities here in the colonies as part of their parol, Spanish provincial troops were

sent with to make sure the parol was honored. A little known fact is there are

Spanish provincial troops buried in N.Y. City who died from illness during this time.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:59:31 AM »
This is what I'm talking about! This Forum is full of info, all good! In addition to learning about cannons and mortars, you can get a healthy dose of other importat history! History which I personally didn't know, 'cause I just didn't know where to look! Thanks to all! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
Thanks for the translation.  I linked my post on Galvez on the CMH board back to this discussion in case any of those folks want to see it. 

A friend of mine is translating the interesting part about the "V Vashington mortar" and expects to have it done in a day or two, when I'll post it here.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
Friend's translation:

Brief and Rough Translation of Website describing  the Washington Mortar cast in 1783 at the Royal Foundry of Seville in 1783

The Royal Foundry of Seville dates back to the second half of the XVI century.  However the current building is circa 1720 and was updated in 1782. In 1783 the Foundry cast 52 cannon of various sizes ranging from 24 pounders down to 4 pounders. In addition, 7 mortars (12, 9, and 5 inch.) Each piece was personalized with its own name. On an unknown date a 12 inch mortar was ordered bearing the name “Washington” at the behest of Don Jose or Bernardo Galvez who wished to make a gift to the United States for its War of independence. Possible the order was placed before the cessation of hostilities of 20 January, 1783, however the piece was actually cast on 4 April 1783, with the number 1199 of the 12 inch mortars according to the records of the Foundry and found at Folio 34, Book # 837 of the Archive of the Royal Foundry. Said record is now at the Archivo de Andalucia and states that the mortar was tested on 9 May 1785. The Washington bronze mortar was cast from coppers mined in Mexico and Peru in a proportion of 10% tin and 90% copper. The document of the test or proof is very detailed. The proof of firing consisted of 4 shots, two with 18 lbs and 2 with 20 lbs of powder manufactured in Holland and it was fired at different angles with spherical projectiles weighing 163lbs each (a mistake?), and achieved a distance of 1600 “tosas” -- about 3 kilometers. Then the piece was filled with water to see if there were any fissures. None being found the piece was then approved for the Royal Service.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
how much should a 12" ball wiegh ?

90/10 bronze ! ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »
Referring to the Spherical Shot Weight Calculator, a 12" solid shot of cast iron would weigh between 225 and 230 lbs.  Since a mortar would fire a shell (2/3 to 3/4 the weight of a solid shot), 163 lbs would be right in the middle of the weight range.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
good work George .

i think you figured it out . 8)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.