Author Topic: ccw class.  (Read 683 times)

Offline highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
ccw class.
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »
i am going to take the class sunday. what should i expect?? thank you.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: ccw class.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
Probably a lot about the laws, I don't know, here in Washington you just pay your money and take your permit.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »
 My class in Arkansas went something like this.
 The instructor spent quite a bit of time discussing laws, such as where a person can & cannot carry, when is deadly force justified, how to behave during a traffic stop when carrying, what to do if involved in a shooting, things like that. 
 The second half of the course was spent on the firing range, showing proper shooting stance, reloading, how to hold your weapon when going through the house looking for intruders, how to react when a person grabs your gun, and probably a few other things I can't recall at the moment.
 The target was a man sized steel sillhouette at a distance of around 20 feet or so.  We had to demonstrate the ability to hit the target many times.  We practiced two & three shot bursts, as well as emptying the entire gun. 
 The biggest thing I learned was how to lean more into the gun and to not shoot with my elbows locked. That may be old hat to some folks but I didn't know it. 
 The one thing I can advise is to go into it with the attitude of wanting to learn something.  There were a couple of classmates that gave off the vibe that they knew everything & couldn't be taught.  Oddly enough, I outshot them both, go figure.
 In any event, good luck with your class and enjoy yourself.  I thought it was fun.
GH1 :)

I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
i always have a good attitude when it's comes to learning stuff. thanks gh1

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »
I took the Utah class here in Illinois. There was no range time which I was disappointed about. The class was mostly about gun safety and shooting techniques. They didn't get into the laws too much as every state is different and Illinois doesn't recognize any permit to carry.

It's terrible, I have to go out of state to be able to carry.

Good luck with the class. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Willum241

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:54:23 AM »
My class in Ohio was 12 hr.
5 hr safe handling, how guns and ammo work, shooting basics, lunch, loading and unloading. A nice lunch was provided, and instruction continued while we ate. Loading and unloading was hands-on, using snap caps.
2.5 hr range time. The school has its own range at a nearby gravel pit. Most of the shooting was at 21 ft, and we fired about 75 rd each. At the end we moved up to 8 ft and did three-taps at IDPA targets. About 30-35 people in the class and we fired in groups of eight with a coach for every two shooters.
1.5 hr on gun cleaning, CCW equipment available, shooting sports available, what the NRA offers. The Ohio CCW course was written by the NRA.
2.5 hr on CCW law; when deadly force is justified, where you can and can't carry; how to apply for CCW permit.
.5 hr written exam.

After that I made an appointment to go to the sheriff's office to apply. The waiting time for the appt was a month and the license came in the mail three days later.

I've seen some other classes doing their shooting at my local public (state park) range and they usually have about a dozen students and one instructer and they shoot from 25 yd. Not much instruction, just people blazing away at targets that already had a lot of holes.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:05:08 AM »
My class in Ohio was 12 hr.
5 hr safe handling, how guns and ammo work, shooting basics, lunch, loading and unloading. A nice lunch was provided, and instruction continued while we ate. Loading and unloading was hands-on, using snap caps.
2.5 hr range time. The school has its own range at a nearby gravel pit. Most of the shooting was at 21 ft, and we fired about 75 rd each. At the end we moved up to 8 ft and did three-taps at IDPA targets. About 30-35 people in the class and we fired in groups of eight with a coach for every two shooters.
1.5 hr on gun cleaning, CCW equipment available, shooting sports available, what the NRA offers. The Ohio CCW course was written by the NRA.
2.5 hr on CCW law; when deadly force is justified, where you can and can't carry; how to apply for CCW permit.
.5 hr written exam.

After that I made an appointment to go to the sheriff's office to apply. The waiting time for the appt was a month and the license came in the mail three days later.

I've seen some other classes doing their shooting at my local public (state park) range and they usually have about a dozen students and one instructer and they shoot from 25 yd. Not much instruction, just people blazing away at targets that already had a lot of holes.

Sounds like a great class!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:24:45 AM »
I took my class as soon as the law was passed . We were given quite a bit of law as it pertained to carry . Where to not carry was a big deal. How to carry - no printing , no gun showing etc. . How to let police know if you are armed and when it is nessary. There was common sense talk about safety . Then there was a lot of case study . We went over in detail about 6-7 cases that allowed us to get an idea of what could happen and what to do and not do. One point that kept poping up was if you are involved the responding police will not know in most cases that you are the good guy so expect to be treated as a criminal until they sort it out . Also expect to be arrested . It was explained that if involved in a shooting what you say could be twisted to make a case , SO when ask what happened just say you feared for your life and defended yourself and with all respect will wait until your attorney is present to ansewer any questions . There was also discussion on when to help others . The example was a 7/11 store . You are behind a shelf . The store is being robbed . Should you pull a gun ? In the case we studied the guy pulled his gun to help the . The cop in the freezer was watching and realized he was not part of the robbery . It could have gone the other way as the bad guy shot at the clerk and the cop shot the bad guy . One othe point we were filmed while taking the class .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
First off, good for you.

Mine was mostly gun safty and the use of deadly force. There was a good deal of discussion on laws, the simple practice of carrying, what to carry, and particular emphisis on responsibility, but it all kept coming back to safty and wheather or not to pull the trigger. Oregon has fairly relaxed laws on firearms compared to other states so time spent on the various topic will vary accordingly I am sure. Mine did not entail range time though.

The instuctor I had was excellent, I was expecting it to be somthing like traffic school but it was 5 of the most interesting hours I have ever spent in a classroom. I would sit in on another class in a heartbeat. Very worthwhile. I think everyone who owns a firearm should take the class, if not for a fresh look at gun safty then just to gain a new perspective on the world.