Author Topic: Gas checks stuck in cases  (Read 364 times)

Offline Woodrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Gas checks stuck in cases
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
I have 20 rounds of 475 Linebaugh that I have found necessary to disassemble.  When I removed the bullets, the gas check stayed in the case and therefore all of the powder stayed as well.  What is the proper and safe method of removing these?  I would prefer not to just shoot them out as there is a potential problem with the powder, hence the need for disassembly.  Thank you for the help. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Gas checks stuck in cases
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:03:56 PM »
With bullet gone I can't imagine the powder charge being excessive. With only powder and GC I can't imagine pressures being much more than needed to get it out the barrel. If you shoot them I'd check the bore each time to be sure it cleared.

You might tip the GC enough to pull it with needle nose pliers but I'd not bet on it. Most anything you try to make a hole in it with could set off the powder. I guess I'd either toss the cases or fire them with the GC in place.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »
As Bill hinted at, just press one side of the check into the case with a small screwdriver or punch and turn it sideways, then you can grab it with needle nose pliers.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:16:50 PM »
Try poking it all the way in the case, then empty the powder. With the powder out jiggle the case so you can reach in the case with forceps or needle nose pliers and pull it out.