Author Topic: Can a GC bullet be fired without GC.  (Read 822 times)

Offline RangerRiz

• Trade Count: (10)
Can a GC bullet be fired without GC.
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:10:56 PM »
I know that it is physically possible; however , I was wondering to what effect. Being a poor college student and father of three small children money is tight. A friend and I want to start casting our own bullets, for economy and quality. I will be casting for my .44 mag. And want to keep my cost down. I will most likely only purchase a single mold. I have narrowed my choice (in style) down. I will most likely choose a 255 grain SWGC. I will use these bullets for hunting and practice. For my practice bullets I would like to cast softer bullets with out GC. I will eventually purchase more molds but for now I would like to just purchase one.

Ranger
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Can a GC bullet be fired without GC.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »
You don't need a gas check... the RCBS 44-245-swc is a good plain base bullet.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
it will work but the combination of soft alloy and no gas check will probably cause some leading and ive never seen a gas checked bullet loaded without a gas check that shot near as well as with a gas check. Your no doubt better off buying two different molds or at least forgetting the gas checked mold and buying a plain based one and casting at least wheel weights.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:18:32 AM »
Bad idea. If you size using a lube sizer you'll get a bit gob of lube there that will be a real mess during loading and might contaminate your powder. Plus as Lloyd says you'll likely get leading with it.

Just buy a non GC mould and shoot plain base bullets. They'll do fine for your needs. The RCBS mould mentioned will work fine as will Lyman 429421 or for that matter if you really need to save money you can get a plain base Lee mould and make do with it until money is less tight. Finding an RCBS or Lyman mould used might be as cheap as the Lee and would be a LOT better.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »
I use a lee SWC. mold for my new model super blackhawk. But I am shooting reduced loads. I load for the 44 special. A lot less kick and more fun to shoot, but for full power loads I use jacketed bullets from Hornady.
                          Beerbelly

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »
I shoot a .44 SBH with the Lee 430-310. It shoots 4" groups no problem at 50 yds. without a GC. I tumble lube as cast. My gun has very big cylinder throats and so no problem. The RCBS 250 SWC plain base Keith style is also a very good bullet.

Offline RangerRiz

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:49:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess will get 2 moulds.
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions