Author Topic: Hotchkiss 100-pounder rifle no. 1  (Read 639 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Hotchkiss 100-pounder rifle no. 1
« on: September 05, 2009, 04:05:16 AM »
Pictures tell it all.  Taken 1864, after 9th. round (the first column in the table may be the serial no. of the projectile?)  Note rifling-designed to fire "fluted shells."  Hotchkiss had many successes but this wasn't one of them.  Info from Nat. Archives RG74, reports on testing of inventions.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/Archives%2020090903%20RG74/IMG_9898.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/Archives%2020090903%20RG74/IMG_9899.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/Archives%2020090903%20RG74/IMG_9900.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/Archives%2020090903%20RG74/IMG_9901.jpg

Offline KABAR2

Re: Hotchkiss 100-pounder rifle no. 1
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:17:08 AM »
It is interesting that the Government is using such a new technology as photography to document this,  by the looks of the cannon you would
think the design had enough material at the breech end that this failure should not have happened...... a flaw in the casting process? A round
jammed up somehow on firing? I guess in any event they did not get a contract.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:32:29 AM »
Cast iron sure wasn't an ideal cannon material.  To make it worse, fairly deep rifling grooves were cut in this piece, causing stress concentrations which certainly contributed.  The gun may have done ok as a smoothbore, but we'll never know.  Many of the early "fluted shell" experiments ended like this.  Mr. Sigourney was the first in the US to build and test them, as far as I know, in the 1850's.  When the shells worked, they were often very accurate.  Sigourney used shells with two flutes, opposite sides, flutes were maybe an inch high, can't recall, but they were like stubby wings which went nearly the whole length of the shell.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
This is an example of the brittleness of castings.

When 'mild steel' was invented/discovered/developed about 1870ish it REVOLUTIONIZED cannon making as it withstood becoming brittle.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
I wonder how the lead flutes were attached to the bolt? The report entries state, lead flew off on striking, or before striking. I was looking for info on the chunk that broke off of the barrel, sometimes these reports describe the direction, and distance the pieces flew when the cannon burst.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »
Cast iron sure wasn't an ideal cannon material.  To make it worse, fairly deep rifling grooves were cut in this piece, causing stress concentrations which certainly contributed. 

You're right,  From the shape of the piece, it looks like it broke right along the edge of the rifling. 

It is interesting that the Government is using such a new technology as photography to document this, 

Usually, a simple "blown up sir"  [like Bill Murray on stripes] would have sufficed back then ;D.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:38:06 AM »
Very convenient for the main piece of shrapnel to land on the blocks they had set by the carriage.