Author Topic: Is this .30-06 load too light?  (Read 883 times)

Offline winman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Is this .30-06 load too light?
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:56 PM »
I might have messed up. I loaded some 125 grain Sierra bullets with 35 grains of 4895. I wanted a light load for rapid fire practice with a bolt action, but now I'm almost afraid I might get a bullet stuck in the barrel. I must have read somewhere that it would be OK but can't remember where. Should I risk it or should I pull the bullets?  Thanks.   

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: Is this .30-06 load too light?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
You didn’t say it was H4895 or IMR-4895 which are different.  Anyway, Hodgdon.com youth loads for H-4895 shows the 125 grain bullets for the 30-06 Springfield is 40.5 grains.

Ok, you want to do rapid fire practice, with a load that is unknown accuracy or safe, for what purpose?

yooper77

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »
PULL THEM

That load is too light for even H4895 , the time spent reloading them is better than a trip to the Hospital !!!!!!!!!!

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:04:16 AM »
Was this load something that was published in a reliable reloading manual, or was it something that some "expert" recommended to you?  I myself have never had the nerve to use handloads that weren't within the parameters of published data.  I've always figured that published data was developed by companies that had equipment with which to measure safety parameters as well as velocity and accuracy.  Most other "experts" don't have the expensive equipment required to develop such data.  Home-made data can put your fingers, hands, eyesight, face, and even your life at risk.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »
I might have messed up. I loaded some 125 grain Sierra bullets with 35 grains of 4895. I wanted a light load for rapid fire practice with a bolt action, but now I'm almost afraid I might get a bullet stuck in the barrel. I must have read somewhere that it would be OK but can't remember where. Should I risk it or should I pull the bullets?  Thanks.   
Don't fire them. They are underloaded, whichever 4895 powder you used.

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
Hodgdon says with their H4895 max loads can be reduced to 60 percent of the max charge and H4895 will be ok. 
REMEMBER.  the safest place to ask questions like this is the powder manufacturing company..  Hodgdon is good about answering e-mail.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline yooper77

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Hodgdon says with their H4895 max loads can be reduced to 60 percent of the max charge and H4895 will be ok. 
REMEMBER.  the safest place to ask questions like this is the powder manufacturing company..  Hodgdon is good about answering e-mail.

Careful it’s the H4895 60% rule from the maximum loads in their 27th edition reloading manual only.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

yooper77

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:05:41 PM »
Just got off the phone with Mike at hodgdon.  The 60 percent rule is still correct.

If in doubt call, e-mail or write.

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
I know sometimes I don't have the best delivery when stating something.
But,  let me put it this way.  I called Mike at Hodgdon to actually see if the 60 percent rule was still in effect.  Yes it was.
Call cost nothing.  It was within my alloted time on my cell.  Took maybe a couple minutes. also asked it that applied to all bullets weghts.  Yes was the answer.  Asked if it was true with all cartridges listing H4895.  Answer was yes.
Thanked him for his time and trouble and hung up.
Went to Hodgdons site and brought up 30/06 data where it listed 53.7 gr as max for the 125 gr sierra.
Muliplied that weight by 60 percent and got 32.2 gr.
The OP is, was, or did load 35 gr.  This is 2.8 gr heavier than the 60 percent rule on charge weight.
So according to the 60 percent rule it is safe.
Still best to consult the powder manufacturer.
All this took me less than 5 minutes to do.
This is why i made the statement :  "REMEMBER.  the safest place to ask questions like this is the powder manufacturing company..  Hodgdon is good about answering e-mail."
 Not to be smart or cute as some may assume.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
Still the problem remains , the OP did NOT state what 4895 he used , try that with IMR4895 and your in for big trouble !!!!!

If there is ANY DOUBT -- Pull them  -- Don't shoot them !

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
stimpy:  You are correct he did not say; but both IMR and Hodgdon are owned by Hodgdon so the answer I gave is as correct as any.
If a person has a question about load data the best place is to go to the powder manufacturer.  Surely they will know much more than you and I.
I think you being a reasonable person will surely agree with that for safety sake.
Too much he said she said junk on the "net to trust it.
Plus there is a chance we both could be wrong.  Me in assuming he was using H4895 and mentioning the 60 percent rule and you in telling him to pull them that they are unsafe when if he is using H4895 they are not dangerous so if he did pull them using H4895 that was a waste of time and effort.
So you see my point:
Call the powder manufacturer.  Or as Andy told Aunt Bee .. "Just call the man" 
when the freezer started acting up.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »
I know sometimes I don't have the best delivery when stating something.
But,  let me put it this way.  I called Mike at Hodgdon to actually see if the 60 percent rule was still in effect.  Yes it was.
Call cost nothing.  It was within my alloted time on my cell.  Took maybe a couple minutes. also asked it that applied to all bullets weghts.  Yes was the answer.  Asked if it was true with all cartridges listing H4895.  Answer was yes.
Thanked him for his time and trouble and hung up.
Went to Hodgdons site and brought up 30/06 data where it listed 53.7 gr as max for the 125 gr sierra.
Muliplied that weight by 60 percent and got 32.2 gr.
The OP is, was, or did load 35 gr.  This is 2.8 gr heavier than the 60 percent rule on charge weight.
So according to the 60 percent rule it is safe.
Still best to consult the powder manufacturer.
All this took me less than 5 minutes to do.
This is why i made the statement :  "REMEMBER.  the safest place to ask questions like this is the powder manufacturing company..  Hodgdon is good about answering e-mail."
 Not to be smart or cute as some may assume.

I took the H4895 60% rule from the maximum loads in their 27th edition reloading manual only off their website under youth loads.  Its good to know that rule stands for their current max loads where H4895 is listed.

Thank you,
yooper77  

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. This load WAS based on the 60% rule but I couldn't remember where I found it, and couldn't remember whether it applied to jacketed or only cast. I am using IMR4895 however, and I only have 45 loaded up so I think I'll pull them and start over with 45 grains and the same bullet - a load I have used before. The Hodgdon/IMR 4895 difference could be hugely significant in this situation. I really appreciate the attention I got by asking the question here.