Author Topic: Golfballs Without Dimples  (Read 874 times)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Golfballs Without Dimples
« on: September 13, 2009, 03:32:54 AM »
You can purchase golfballs without dimples from Casar Golf Company.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Golfballs Without Dimples
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:59:43 AM »
Caesar  sells 3 balls for 30.00 plus 6.99 shipping

I think I would stick with the dimples........

http://www.caesargolf.com/
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:04:20 AM »
Someone who is really dedicated and thrifty will figure out a way to fill in the dimples at home using body putty, epoxy or paint.  People who have that kind of patience always impress me. 

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:07:56 AM »
I have read, the dimples cut-down the air resistance and the ball goes a greater distance at an increased speed. That's what they are there for. Sixty+ years ago, I used golf balls with square dimples. They may have been from Scotland/British?

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:12:11 AM »
Someone who is really dedicated and thrifty will figure out a way to fill in the dimples at home using body putty, epoxy or paint.  People who have that kind of patience always impress me. 

Either that or grind them down smooth.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:13:27 AM »
I have read, the dimples cut-down the air resistance and the ball goes a greater distance at an increased speed. That's what they are there for. Sixty+ years ago, I used golf balls with square dimples. They may have been from Scotland/British?

rc

Yes leave it to the Brits to put a square dimple on a round ball......

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:11 AM »
O.K.. Just read Allen's. Caesar says it too.

BTW you can save the $30 and just KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL when you drive.

Richard the Old Duffer
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 05:02:04 AM »
 I have been thinking of this idea for a while but, just have not looked at them yet to confirm the size.

So, being the skinflint that I am. I was wondering if anyone has taken the plastic practice golf balls and filled them with some sort of cement? Maybe anchor cement or, another fine cement. I know that the cement tends to heat up so, they may need to be placed into a bowl of water as they cure so they do not deform.

If this would work without deforming them. Would they fly straighter because of the weight?

As, for the balls without dimples. I think they are quite pricey. I would stick with my lead ones as they are less than $2.00 each to buy.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:22:30 AM »

rc

I would think it also increases the magnus effect. The dimples will cause it to "grip" the air more for farther travel, but like a golf ball it will also cause it to curve more.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline phantom

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:52:06 AM »
I think the problems with the golfballs is that we over power them with the amount of charge..

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »
Bravo, Phantom, Bravo.

I agree, the mass of a golf ball is not great enough for cannons.  An iron ball of golf ball diameter weighs 4395 grains (per Georges calculator), a golf ball weighs 708 grains.

A golf ball just doesn't have the ballistic coefficient to overcome the air resistance resistance at the velocity black powder drives it. 

Tiger Woods drives his ball at  about 263 feet per second. We are trying to drive closer to 1000 ft per second.

I believe George and Gary were shooting golf ball cannons at the Montana shoot.  I know Gary was for sure.  Gary quite easily reach 600 yards with a steel ball and was fairly accurate also.  If he shot any golf balls at that range, he can tell you how far the golf balls went and if t hey went straight.

On the other hand MikeRC was shooting a golf ball mortar with much slower speeds.  His golf balls did not hook or slice.  They did drift with the wind.  I found his long range shot at just over 400 yards straight down range from where he fired it and in line with where we lost sight of it.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:30 AM »
golf balls are so lite that no matter how fast you start them they just dont go very far . i usually find them about 150-200 yds away .

they just shed velocity so quick . ive never made tests for raw distance , so i dont know for sure .

i'll use zinc one of these days .........it's cheaper than steel by about one third ,but the big saving would be in shipping ,if i can find zinc localy .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
... if i can find zinc locally.

It's used for die casting so try the Yellow Pages under that category for either supplies or diecasters, themselves.  If you can't find a supplier listing, call a die caster and ask where he gets his metal.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »
Gary just google Denver die caster...lots of hits.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 04:47:24 PM »
I'm not a golfer but I seem to remember that some balls have a liquid center thats under pressure. So if that is the case drilling a hole in one could cause the liquid center to erupt from the hole and possibly cause some personal injury. Frank

Offline no guns here

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
On the other hand... if you wanted to fire golf ball at shorter range you could try the "cayman" balls.  The dimples are inverted and stick out instead of in. They are for reduced flight on short "island" courses.  I'm not sure of the diameter but I "think" the diameter is the same as regular golf balls.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline no guns here

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
If you are going for distance... try the "pirate" golf ball.  It's a little smaller and heavier than a regulation ball.  Should give more distance.  Would give too much windage but if you were using a sabot it shouldn't be a problem.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »
I think the problems with the golfballs is that we over power them with the amount of charge..

Same hook-n-slice dilema is experienced with pneumatic GB launchers at ~300 - 500 FPS.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline no guns here

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »
fine line between straight and curvy.  used to see it all the time when I played paintball.  Too much air would make them fly funny...  of course sometimes you could get lucky and get them to break in the right direction and get a splat on a guy...
Too little air and you couldn't get any range.  The hard part is getting the range AND straight flight.  I'm guessing it is the same way with GB cannon...

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »
Hi, Regarding hook and slice when shooting golf balls, I took the mortar to the lake today to see just how far it would throw one without deviation from line of fire.  Tried weighed powder charges of 100, 150, 200, 300, and 400 grains of FFG.  There was no noticeable deviation from straight at any charge. I did find they went a LOT further than I would have thought.  Now I've got to get some of the hollow balls, drill them and fill with bird shot and epoxy the hole closed. Be interesting to see how far those go.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens