Author Topic: .500 s&w  (Read 415 times)

Offline searlock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.500 s&w
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
hi all, i would appreciate your thoughts on which reload manual has the most info on reloading the 500. my old speer manual aint cuttin it on this one. thanks   searlock

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .500 s&w
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:42 AM »
The 500 is still "new". I have data form a number of sources. I cannot think of any one thats head anf shoulders above any other. Deversify, get as much form varing sources and experiment. Start lo and work up. The last I got was from Hornady for the then new .50cal FTX bullet.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:02:12 AM »
I like the Hornady manual the best.  Hodgdon puts out a yearly reloading magazine that's cheap, has a lot of load information, etc. and is also worth the money.

I reload for an Encore chambered in 500 S&W Magnum so results in a revolver may differ.  The load I finally settled on was with H110/Win. 296 and Sierra 400 gr. SportsMaster bullets which give me 1 to 1.5 in. 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:23:28 AM »
You can go online to Hogoden's website for lots of loading info on the 500 S&W.

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:33:37 AM »
thanks everyone, i did forget to mention that i am loading for my handi 500. it's hard for me to buy several manuals.   searlock

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
I also have a handi 500 S&W. I don't reload for it but with the Federal Premium ammo with the 275 XPB bullet, I consistently get 1 ragged hole for a 100 yard, 3-shot group. The stated MV of this load is 1660 fps. With this type of accuracy and the fact that I really do not shoot this caliber much, I don't plan on reloading. However, Barnes lists on their web site 2 powders that achieved over 2000 fps with this bullet from a 10" barrel. So, you could probably do better with the longer handi barrel, assuming you're even interested in this particular bullet. I can attest that this bullet does a number on deer and with the Federal load the recoil is very tolerable.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 12:55:55 AM »
I also have a handi 500 S&W. I don't reload for it but with the Federal Premium ammo with the 275 XPB bullet, I consistently get 1 ragged hole for a 100 yard, 3-shot group. The stated MV of this load is 1660 fps. With this type of accuracy and the fact that I really do not shoot this caliber much, I don't plan on reloading. However, Barnes lists on their web site 2 powders that achieved over 2000 fps with this bullet from a 10" barrel. So, you could probably do better with the longer handi barrel, assuming you're even interested in this particular bullet. I can attest that this bullet does a number on deer and with the Federal load the recoil is very tolerable.

Thats one of the best shooting handi's I have ever herd of in this caliber!!  You are a lucky man!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 05:37:52 AM »
After I shot the 2nd group to make sure the first was not a fluke, I went and bought a lottery ticket. I didn't win. The only thing I did to it was to put a rubber O-ring between the stock and barrel, where the barrel screws into the forearm. I don't know if that helped or not, since I did this before I shot the rifle. Also, soon I'll be starting on another box of the Federal ammo with a different lot #. We'll see if it still shoots as good. The one negative to this ammo (if indeed it is a negative), besides the price, is that past 100 yards, the bullet drops like a rock. However, since I bought this rifle to use during Mississippi's Primitive Weapon Season (regs changed a couple of years ago to allow this), I am used to not shooting past 100 yards anyway. Since most of our stand locations only allow a 100 yard shot, this allows me to use this rifle without much misgivings. I will say (much to the chagrin of all the purists out there) that it sure is nice not having to clean my rifle after each time shooting it.

A final comment: I'd find it hard to believe that other handi's out there will not shoot this ammo as well out of their rifle. I'm just not that lucky. Not to hi-jack this thread but I wonder if anyone else has tried this ammo in a handi and what sort of accuracy they are getting. Just a thought.

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24:14 AM »
whow one ragged hole, that would tickle me though i don't expect it. my handi was made (cba ser no.)middle of 08 to 4 of 09 when i ordered it. don't know if it was made in ilion or not. what i do know is the barrel had reamer gouges in it. i fired doubletap 350 and 500 gr rounds in it both hornady projectiles. made no difference. bullet impact at bench rest was all around the bulls eye at 50 and 100 yds. at 100 spread was 8 inches. this is why i want to reload for it after i get it back from ilion. i would be okay with a 3 inch spread at 100. i have tack drivers with other rifles i own but i like this handi rifle. btw it is the only handi i own. deer season starts here oct 15, hope it makes it back in time. thank you all for your help. what a thumper this thing is, really torques.    searlock