Author Topic: Boots  (Read 419 times)

Offline Birddog 1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Boots
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »
What brand of hunting boots would you all recommend for hunting? I am planning on going up north to Idaho and there will more then likley be snow on the ground and wet. I had a pair of Danners 20 some years old and I have heard in the past 6, 7 years ago that they went down hill. :(

TIA Nim
If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to.
This is the last stand on earth.
R.R. 1964

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear armes is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in goverment.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »
I would not say that Danner has gone down hill.
They have come out with some moulded rubber sole boots that are not reparable and there fore cheaper.
I have a pair of the Grouse II danners and have had them for quite a few years.
When I was getting ready for an elk hunt in ID.  I bought a pair of the moulded boots that were 400 Gram of insulation with my standards being 200's.  While it snowed a few times the 400's were plenty warm with wool socks. 
I am also now on my second pair of Jackels.  Moulded non insulated boots.  WOW! most confortable boots I have owned.
Water proof, and feel like Mocosins.  If they made them in other than camo side pannels I would wear them for work.  I went through my first pair in about 8 months. I was weraing them everyweekend for shooting and hunting as well as about 8 miles a day for my 2- 4 mile daily walks.  Also they are not exactly dead.  I have them at my parents house and wear them when I am in NC.  As these wear out in a year (I am now only doing 4 miles and wearing sneakers for the walk)  I will replace them with another pair of Jackels and when we were in ID I was wearing them with heavy socks and was fine around camp in the snow.
But again I understand the differance between the traditional construction boots that are repairable and rebuildable.
The over moulded boots are neither but they work well.  Just know that that is $ spent and you will toss those.  Any of the other models you can repair and have for years.  The pair you have may be cheaper to have them rebuilt.  Danner will resole and re water proof your boots for a fee.
Go to the website for details.  www.danner.com