Author Topic: 45-70 Handi w/ Barnes TSX or other pointed bullets...  (Read 1529 times)

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45-70 Handi w/ Barnes TSX or other pointed bullets...
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »
::)
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
Here is the FTX shot from my Marlin 1895XLR (Yeah....I know this is an H&R forum.....but I do own an H&R!!!....it's a 22 mag.....but I own one!!!). This is a 4 shot group at 100 yards. I was zeroing in my Williams peep sight.

Then once I got it zeroed in, I made some "click" adjustments to my Williams peep (I have the target model) and this is a 4 shot group at 200 yards.

This is the FTX traveling at a very consistent 1700fps across my chronograph. Of course, I'm shooting it from a bench.

For whitetail, this will be plenty of punch.

BTW, I have shot this load out to 300 yards. I've gotton two of the three to touch, but that third "flyer" is about 3/4" away from the first two. Such a disappointment! I can't use it on crows!!!

Dave

You need to move to PA... lol  Crows and woodchucks are fair game for any caliber rifle here..   You should see what a .458" slug does to both.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline workin man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »
Makes one wonder why they don't list 45-70 Ruger or 458 Winmag data for it if that's true!  ???  I've read complaints about the FTX bullet failing in levergun loads, so me thinks someone at Hornady doth not tell the truth.  :-\

Tim

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics/ftx_reloading_data.php

I figured the same, regarding no ruger level load data. We did get our replies on the same day and likely from the same person, so it is possible we got bad info. People do make mistakes. I'll perform some tests like Jerry KO did,  to confirm bullet performance before trying it on game. Maybe someone else could send off an e-mail to Hornady to see if they have revised their reponse?

Jim