Author Topic: Loose Powder, measure weight or volume  (Read 1098 times)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Loose Powder, measure weight or volume
« on: September 16, 2009, 04:14:31 AM »
Loose Powder (777 or pyrodex), measure weight or volume

The pellets are more expensive, I guess for the convenience, and I can see myself switching to the loose powder after I burn my initial pellet purchase.  Perhaps for hunting, I would also continue with the  pellets but for casual shooting at targets I want to cut the cost per shot.

If you shoot 20 shots at the range, would you bring 20 pre weighed canisters of loose powder, or would you set up some simple volume dispenser to pour powder into and then into the barrel.  I see a lot of brass tools for this purpose but was guessing this was used more for the actual black powder usage.  How sensitive (safety) are the new powders to over filling due to volume inaccuracies ~ +/- 10 grains or so?

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Loose Powder, measure weight or volume
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:41:54 AM »
 For the range I measure as I go, pour powder from a 'flask' into a volume measurement tube/instrument. For hunting I charge the gun at home & pre-measure 3 or 4 powder charges. I use a few types of 'speed-loaders' but a 35mm film canister works fine also.
NRA, Veteran

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »
You should be using a standard black powder measure for all of your charges. Once you know what charge works best then you can pre-laod a bunch of tubes or as noted 35mm film canisters if you can still find them. You do not want to load directly from a power can or flask into the barrel.

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »
Hey there BajaBill.  The brass (and plastic) powder measures you refer to are used as volume measures for black powder, as well as for black powder substitutes like Triple 7, Pyrodex, Blackhorn 209, etc.  There's no real danger with overcharging any of these powders +/- 10 grains.  Consistency in how much powder you throw with each charge is more important for accuracy than for safety.  Most modern guns handle up to 150 grains safely, but most accurate loads usually fall in the 80 to 110 grain range with black powder or any of the subs.

I  always use pre-charged powder tubes in a hunting situation, and often at the range - though I sometimes use a powder measure at the range instead of pre-charged tubes.  When I use powder tubes, I sometimes I fill them using a volume measure, and sometimes weigh the charges I put them in them.  

IMPORTANT:  If you're going to weigh charges you must understand that, except for FFG real black powder, a 100 grain volume measure of powder does not actually weigh 100 grains, and the weight of different substitue powders will be different.  For example, 100 grains of Pyrodex RS in my TC U-View powder measure actually weighs a little less than 80 grains, and 100 grains volume of T7 FFFG actually weighs a little less than 90 grains.  So you must first establish the actual weight of the volume charge you want and use that actual weight to fill your powder tubes.  For example, if you want to shoot a 90 grain load of Pyrodex, fill your volume measure to the 90 grain level, then weigh the charge.  Do that five times or so then average the five weights.  That will give you the actual weight of the charge you want.

There are lots of powder tubes available.  Many of us favor the ones available from Lane Nebraska on the forum.  Check here. http://huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear/262982-wts-black-powder-storage-tubes.html  
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
thanks for the tips,

I need to first shoot this gun and see what does and doesn't work well for me in the process. 

I am finding the basic per shot cost is higher than I was expecting unless you decide to get away from the simple and convenient approach.  I was able to find sabots for a good price and got some 300 gr Nosler HPs to go with my 240 and 270 bullets I already had for a 44cal rifle.  When it is all said and done, I suppose this ML is going to be a near copy of capability to my H&R single shot 445 super mag rifle.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »
Once I establish a "favorite" load, I use copper tubing to fashion a powder measure of the correct volume.  My black powder measure is adjustable, and I have to hunt my glasses to verify it every time.  I engrave the charge on the tubing, and cap it with cork stoppers from the hardware store.  That way, if I'm grabbing my pistol, I get the 20 gr. measure.  For my inline, the 80gr., etc.  For hunting, as stated above, I measure out three charges in tubes, and drop them in my pocket.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
 I like the copper tube idea. Just fill er up & go.
NRA, Veteran