Author Topic: Heads up on the 1943 COPPER Lincoln head wheat penny  (Read 17628 times)

Offline Black_Wolf

• Trade Count: (0)
Heads up on the 1943 COPPER Lincoln head wheat penny
« on: May 17, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
In 1943 the US government had the US mints switch to a common steel penny because the copper supplies were needed for the war effort. By accident a small amount of normal COPPER 1943 pennies were struck and released to the general public when they shouldnt have been. These COPPER 1943 pennies are one of, if not THE most sought after pennies there are.  

There are only around 40 thought to exist and in 1981 one of them sold for about $83,000. Just think what one would be worth today!?

Look thru your wheat pennies, people! If you find  a 1943 that looks to be COPPER take a magnet to it and if it does'nt stick to it get your butt to a certified coin dealer and have it verified.

What ever you do, DO NOT SELL IT TO THE COIN DEALER NO MATTER WHAT HE OFFERS FOR IT! WE are talking big money here and I'm sure he would love to get his mitts on it for a lot less than it is worth!

The regular 1943 steel cents are a silver color and pretty much worth face value and millions of them were struck.  

Of course there are some counterfeits because the Copper ones are so rare and some of the steel ones were dipped in copper illegaly. The magnet trick will sniff these out as they will still stick to it.  

So, if you have a collection of old Wheat pennies have a look thru them as you just might be a milionaire or close to it and not even know it
Good luck :D

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »
Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I was sooooooooooooo close!!!! I got two more wheaties, one with the date of 1941, and the second, get this, 194...................4!!!  Grrrrr, just one year can make you cry.  :cry:  At least the '44 is not magnetic.  :roll:

Awesome info, BW, thanks for sharing.  This forum is starting to pick up with interesting information.  Once it really finds its feet, it might become one of the most addicting.

:D
-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Black_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
Thanks Patriot.

I will try to add info on coins and or tips on detecting a couple per week as i remember them or come across new ones.

In almost every coin series there are what they call "Key dates" which are nothing more than coins from mints that have the lowest mintage numbers and or flaws such as double strikes and the like that are sought after by collectors. I will try to bring as many of these as i can to light here but it is a huge undertaking as there are thousands of valuable and sought after collectible coins.

Once i get a new Puter system and a scanner and DC i'm going to start posting my finds and see if we can get the posts to jump. I invite any others in the hobby with finds they would like to share to do the same.  

Keep on the lookout, Patriot, you might come up with a good one! :D

Offline jdt48653

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • walk softly and carry a 264
Re: Heads up on the 1943 COPPER Lincoln head wheat penny
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
i have a question?
i wonder if black wolf and daveinthebush could combined their two forums?
a lot of us prospect and detect all in one.it would make for more topics that blend .
there could still be two moderaters.

Offline Daveinthebush

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:55:20 PM »
I would have no problem with that at all.   ;D
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:49:56 AM »
I've been looking for a 1943 copper penny since wheat pennes were still new, but no luck.
 I hear tell there were a few 1983 copper pennis struck. They might trun out to be valuable, and one might even turn up. So I'm still lookin', but w/a magnifying glass to read the date.
 I wonder how many got put on the railroad tracks.