Author Topic: scope leveling  (Read 544 times)

Offline sbuff

• Trade Count: (0)
scope leveling
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:25:55 AM »
whats everyone out there think the best way to level there scope's on there gun is??

Steve

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: scope leveling
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
Boy!  I tell ya, leveling scopes is a pain!   :(  I've tried the thing you slide in the receiver that has a upright section and gave up on it.  Just this week I tried the 2 piece bubble level thing, one level goes in the action and the other goes on top of the scope, both held in place by magnets.  It seemed to have worked pretty well but I'll have to use it a lot more.   :-\

I never had much problem leveling the scope, but keeping it level as you tightened the screws was hard to do.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »
I got one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=529349 Wheeler Level\Level gizmo's. They work great. I put my rifle in a padded vise, level it front to back.....then put the larger level across the action. Snug up the vise....re-check the level. Then put the small level across the top scope adjustment.

As I tighten the ring screws (I snug 'em in an "X" pattern) you can watch the level to make sure you don't shift the scope too one side. It harder to type an explanation that it is to actually do it.

Worth the cost of the tool....even if you do one scope.

Dave

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
I go through all the pains of leveling and then when I shoulder the rifle, my cross hairs do not appear level.  Obviously I am canting the rifle when I shoulder it.  Fortunately, almost all of my hunting shots are taken from elevated box stands.  I normally brace a rifle against horizontal and vertical members of the stand and never notice if the cross hairs are level or not.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
My Remington 7600 is my easiest rifle to get the scope level. I have a small torpedo level with a magnet on one side. I place the rifle in my padded rifle vice and the level on the side of the action. I hang an object by a boot lace for a plumb bob. I make sure the rifle is level and then adjust the reticle so it's square with the lace.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
I use a small bubble tube like would come out of any level.  Level up the rail, then put the level on the top ajusting knob area where ever it will sit right.  As I tighten I double, triple, quadruple, quintuple check the gun compared to the scope...you get the idea.  I've swapped scopes so much in the last 3 months on my 4 rifles that I've gotten pretty good at it.

Then I verify that it's properly done at the range.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline sbuff

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:38:53 AM »
I bought two levels and leveled the base and the gun,then the scope to the gun.It took much longer then I thought.As I snugged up the screws in a X patter everything still level I had hoped all looked good.Then I shoulder the gun and it seems crooked.I took one of the levels and set it on the scope while I shouldered it and I must be holding it a hair off.Watching the level and trying to get the gun straight it does appear everything gun and scope are correct.

Steve.