Author Topic: 1858 Remington rear sight screw size  (Read 1503 times)

Offline jahick70

• Trade Count: (0)
1858 Remington rear sight screw size
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Hello. I'm a new here. I have an Pietta 1858 New model Army. I'm in the process of putting rear sights on it. My question is does anybody  know the thread size of the screws?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 1858 Remington rear sight screw size
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
that would depend on the sights you are using.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline jahick70

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
Sorry, I'm using the factory rear sight from Dixie gun works. I'm just trying to figure out what tap I need.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:13:44 PM »
I went to the Dixie site, and they give no clue about screw size in the part description.

They only list one rear sight for the 1858 which requires screws, which is the adjustable target sight, part number EP 2600.

If this is the sight you have, just call Dixie's Information line (1-731-885-0700) and they should be able to tell you which drill and tap you need.

Or, if you know someone who is a machinest or gunsmith, they will have a thread gauge you can run it into.  It will probably have metric threads.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »
To use a Pietta adjustable rear sight on a 58 that came as a fixed sight well require milling the top strap.  The Pietta sight uses two Fillister head screws to secure it to the top the frame.  I would use 8-40 screws myself.

Offline jahick70

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I've decided to order screws and a tap/drill kit from Midway USA. Still don't know the mysterious thread size. Oh well.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:07:19 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I've decided to order screws and a tap/drill kit from Midway USA. Still don't know the mysterious thread size. Oh well.

Are you replacing an existing sight or is this a fixed sight frame?

Offline jahick70

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »
This is a fixed sight frame. I've already milled out the back strap by hand. I just need to drill and tap for the sights. By the way I have ordered the target front sight as my homemade one did not stay on.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »
The front sight on the target model uses a single screw and solder, or maybe some sort of adhesive glue.
When you get your rear sight mounted, keep an eye on those two windage adjustment screws.  They back out real easy and you well not find them if the hit the ground.  I used loctite on my second set.

If you plan on doing much of this kind of work, pick up one of the Pachmayr gunsmith screw kits.  277 assorted gun screws for around thirty bucks.