Author Topic: Front sight post  (Read 742 times)

Offline wormbobskey

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Front sight post
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »
Does anyone know if CVA or any other manufacturer of c&b revolvers make different height front sights? My navy pistol with pyrodex rs shot about a foot low. With black powder it shoots about 4 inches high.
OSTA
Lanums Animal Damage Control & Repair
We don't do bugs

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Front sight post
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »
What are te ranges involved? If the problem is one of shooting too low then the front sight can be cut down to compensate. Here is how to figure the correction.
Example:
Range, 25 yards-------900 inches
Sight radius, 6 inches
Error, bullets strike 6 inches low

Devide the error (6 inches) by the range (900 inches)
That works out to .0066 inches.
                   Now
Multiply .0066 inches by the sight radius (6 inches)
The correction would be to cut down the front sight by .0396 inches, or raise the rear sight by that amount.
  This works for rifles and handguns and also for figuring deflection adjustments.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline good shot

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »
I have an older 1851 Navy, .36 caliber, the front sight is dovetailed . Now the newer ones are just a bead.
Could this be something where a good smith could dovetail the barrel allowing more flexibility to change the sight? :)

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
Any decent smith should be able to cut a dovetail for a new front sight.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
Money's to tight to have a gunsmith involved. I just figured there were high and low beads that could be changed. I don't ever plan on using it for serious hunting, with the exception of groundhogs. I may use it for a back up when I go hog hunting. I guess I'll just shoot it enough to figure where to hold. I also don't plan to use pyrodex in it anymore either. Thanks for the suggestions. Worm
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline good shot

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:49:28 AM »
I wonder if the bead is put with locktite or a similar product, not silver soldered.
Placed in vise , bead down, heated with butane torch it may loosen, make a new one from brass rod or maybe pull it out a little and allow to harden.
Just a thought.
Best wishes, :)

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »
Some of the ones I have seen seem to be set in place and steaked. My Spiller and Burr is like that.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
If it's like the bead on the octagon barreled navy's, I've never had much luck in removing them, they tend to twist off. But since the issue is high shooting you need to make the bead taller. That can be done by adding a small drop of solder to the top of the bead, holding the gun upside down untill the solder hardens. It will probably then shoot low so you may have to file it shorter to bring the impact back up.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
coyotejoe, do you think the solder would stay on? I had a cross draw holster made for the navy and its pretty tight. The guy that made said I will have to rake the barrel in and out of the holster to make the groove for the front sight so it won't hang up any. I also like good shot's suggestion. I'll have to look at the bead and see if it is steaked or soldered in place. Thanks guys, Worm.
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »
If it's a 51 Navy replica you more than likely have a screw in brass bead.  They a glued in, you need to heat them up to break the grip of the adhesive.  Many times they break off anyway.  I just file them down then drill them out.  Make a new bead with brass rod and loctite them in.  I don't even bother to tap the hole and screw them in anymore.