Author Topic: tips for reloading Makarov 9x18  (Read 1246 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
tips for reloading Makarov 9x18
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:43:34 AM »
The only pistol calibers I have reloading experience with is .38/.357, none with rimless calibers.  I have a Mak and would like to start reloading for it. Can anyone with experience with this round give me some tips and/or suggestions that would help me get off to a good start? Any particular brand of dies that work better for this round? I use RCBS for the .38/.357. At the moment the most difficult thing is finding the brass when shooting it.
GuzziJohn

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
Re: tips for reloading Makarov 9x18
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
Guzzijohn,

I use the RCBS carbide dies.  I have never had problems with RCBS dies...

You an make 9x18 Makarov brass from 9mm Para brass.  It is a little labor intensive, but it is most likely cheaper than trying to find the Mak brass or shoot factory stuff until you collect enough once fired...

Yep, the brass goes flying!  My shooting range has an open 8'x8' shelter with roof.  I shoot from it much of the time and I just place a cardboard box at the correct location and the brass flys from the handgun and hits the box and is mostly stopped there.  The box is only a foot or so away as there appears to be no pattern as to where the brass lands.  Shooting in the open areas, well most of the brass with be lost--a price you pay...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:07:57 AM »
I use the RCBS carbide dies also they work great,I make my 9 x 18 brass from 9mm cases and they work great.  As BCB said it a little work but not that much considering there is plenty of free 9mm brass at the range and for sale all over.  I just picked up a K of once fired 9mm for $20.  Had plenty already but was hard to pass up since I shoot 9mm also.

On a side note the 9mm brass is thicker than the 9 x 18 so it last longer and when you do the case trimming us the 9mm pilot.  It makes trimming the cases down a bit easier because of the extra case thickness.   I also use one of the RCBS or other makers deburring tools the Lee tool want work on 9 x 18 cases because there so short,you can do the inside but not the outside of the case.  I converted about 300 in a few hours.

I have a Hungarian PA-63 with traditional rifling so I mostly shoot cast bullets in mine,I use 3.5 grs. of W231 and a 93 gr. RN  .365 dia. bullet from http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=28 no leading problems at all.  The 9 x 18 uses a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp like the 38/357 so you will want to back the die off the crimp to begin with,then get the bullet seating depth correct,once you have the bullet seated like you desire back the seater plug up and set the crimp like you desire (I don't use much crimp) then with the loaded rd. up in the die fully readjust the seater plug till it touches the bullet and lock it down.  You can make minor adjustment to the seating depth at that point if need be.

Here is a tutorial on how to do the conversion it's how I do mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrmgh3SToE

Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »
I reload for mine and use trimmed 9mm. i have the bulg. and a cz82 I had already put a few hundred cast bullets thru my 82 before someone told me that it would blow up because of the polygonal barrel if you shot lead thru it so i think this is a glock problem.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:47:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I did do some checking on the Mak forum and found quite a bit of information there. There are a couple of loads listed using cast bullets.
GuzziJohn