Author Topic: Cannon sights  (Read 1318 times)

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Cannon sights
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
I built a sight "frame" for my Parrot Field Rifle.  I created 3 deep "dimples" with a 3/8" drill bit and the legs are made of 3/8" threaded rod (one on each side of the trunnion and one just in front of the fuse hole).  It is a very sturdy sighting device and is repeatable, no play whatsoever, it is removeable just by picking it up, so that the cannon looks authentic when actually fired.

It has proved to be very accurate, considering what I'm using as "sights".  At this time all I'm doing is lining up the front bolt with the rear nut.  At 350 yards I'm hitting within a few feet each time.  Attached are pictures of the apparatus.  I need some help designing some sights to go on it.  It is adjustable for elevation, but the windage will not move, so the actual sight would really need to be adjustable for both.

Let me know what ya'll think.  I could always mount a riflescope on it - I think it would be best to use Leupold style mounts with adjustable windage, but I would think that a tang type sight with a peep would be great.  Any ideas on designing one?

By the way.  I am using about 450 grains of ffg Diamondback powder (an empty thermacell fuel cannister full).  I backed down from 625 and am getting nearly as much boom.  It is awesome to watch the bullet skip across the ground and hit the backstop.  Absolutely amazing the skid marks it leaves on the ground... 

Thank ya'll,

NitroSteel

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Cannon sights
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
I get the impression there are two Diamondback powder, are there?  One series of reports seem to indicate it is black powder imported from Brazil and the other that it is a black powder substitute made in  PA.

Anybody know?

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »
Mine is blackpowder from Brazil  (specifically from powder inc).  I'm not familiar with the other.  The BP that I have doesn't seem as hot as GOEX ffg, but I would've ordered GOEX 1fg for my purposes anyways.  I was told up front about how it compared with GOEX which is why I chose it in ffg.  It is much less expensive than GOEX, but does seem like it burns dirtier, maybe it's just the way my Parrott burns powder...

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
Powder Inc refers to theirs as blackpowder substitute

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
Maybe they're out of what I bought.  My box of 25lbs came in square metal cans labeled as "black powder" and it stinks/smokes the yard up with the smell of rotten eggs...

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
I "thought it was made in Brazil..., here is the desciption from powder inc's website:

Diamondback! New powder - blackpowder!. This blackpowder from Diamondback Powder Co., Tamaqua, PA and Canada, is pretty good. We have it in 2F and 3F for re-enactors, cartridge loaders, and generally for people shooting with blackpowder

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
Think it is  the way  Powder Inc has the webpage set up.  They list Diamondback and follow it witrh a discsssion on Substitutes and how they are shipped...very confusing, but a second look it looks like it is BP and not a substitute.

Offline artillerybuff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Battery D 5th US
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:02:19 AM »
If you want the best "period" correct sights for a Parrott you can't beat the Stadia rear sight with a rim base mounted front sight.  This will give you a nice rear peep with windage.

I have used crude breech sights (at least compared to the Stadia) that you have to hold in place on top of the breech each time when sighting and have done very well at long range.  Windage compensation is accomplished by pointing off target, sometimes way off target to compensate for high winds and drift.  This is the art of artillery and knowing your piece...

However, from the picture of the barrel, carriage, & sight mount historic accuracy is not a factor on this piece, so having the ability to mount convention sights and/or a modern day scope on it might be a cool option.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything is wrong with your piece or what you are doing, all black powder shooting is fun and it is ALL good as long as it is done safely, I am just more of a purist when it comes to replicas~   Anthony

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
is this a rifled barrel ? i'm guessing it is .

mount a scope on that 3 point ...piece .

if nothing else just some old adjustable sight and front sight post mounted on it .........simple .

REMOVE it  ! shoot it see if it does what you want ? looks like it might be accurate .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
 NitroSteel,

That looks good. There was someone on here who made a similar one but rather than dimples, I believe he just set the screw tips to register on the trunions and rear of the barrel, with a stop attached to the frame to locate on the cascabel.

I'd go with a scope. Brownells sells flat base blank aluminum Weaver rail stock in various lengths. I think I paid ~$10 for a foot long piece a few years back. A simple setup that's windage adjustable could be made using that; just put a hole through the front end of it for a screw where it could pivot on top of your frame, and a small toe-clamp at the rear so you could move the rail left/right and secure it so it couldn't move after you got it set.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »
NitroSteel,

That looks good. There was someone on here who made a similar one but rather than dimples, I believe he just set the screw tips to register on the trunions and rear of the barrel, with a stop attached to the frame to locate on the cascabel.

There were a few of us that built the removable scope mount.  I think it was originally Seacoast Artillery's idea.  Mine is a steel variation of their mount.  It has brass acorn nuts for the barrel rest. 

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 05:26:08 AM »
   We are glad to see that several of you have made these "easy on, easy off" sight bases for iron or scope sights.  Terry C. of Waycross, Georgia also made a real nice looking and functional one too.  We have been using ours since 2004 and have no complaints.  Here is a photo of the only style we have made for ourselves and several customers.

AND, if you want to see the math and logic behind making one of these you can check out the original thread.  Click on the link below.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,128706.msg1098468224.html#msg1098468224

You see, Nitrosteel, on your next cannon you can have real nice looking, authentic sights and then build one of these "contact point sight bases" for shooting and avoid drilling ANY holes in your fine looking cannon.  You will have the best of both worlds.  Although we said this in the linked thread, it bears repeating here:  The accuracy and repeatability of the sight base style we, Dominick and Terry C. built is quite good and has been measured by the old aerospace inspectors, us, to be position repeatable to .0001" each and every time we mount it on the cannon's tube.

Let's see some shooting results!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »
Here is my take on sights.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »
Here is my take on sights.

what kind of accuracy can you get with that smoothbore XXX ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
Telescopic sights on black powder muzzle loading cannnon?  It ain't natural I'll tell you, it just ain't natural!!!!!  :)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
Telescopic sights on black powder muzzle loading cannnon?  It ain't natural I'll tell you, it just ain't natural!!!!!  :)

Neither is paint!

What is the bore size on that there gun, XxLT250RxX?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »

But if it were a brass tube of 1" or 3/4" diameter and about 3-4' long it would LOOK vintage!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »

what kind of accuracy can you get with that smoothbore XXX ?

I have only fired it a few times since I made the scope mount.  At 35 yards, the center to center measurement was about 1" to 1 1/4 inches.  I believe it is capable of better than that.  I have some slack in the elevation mechanism where it attaches to the barrel.  I need to machine a pin to remove the slack and try it at a longer range.

What is the bore size on that there gun, XxLT250RxX?
It is a 1 1/4 inch bore.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

Amen. I'll stick with good ol' fasion laser sights on mine...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:56 AM »

Amen. I'll stick with good ol' fasion laser sights on mine...

Right on, and while were at it, does anybody know where I can find some heat seeking GPS guided 6 lb. shot for an 1841 6-Pounder?

Okay, just poking more fun, sort of...

Actually, using a laser bore sight would be a great way to zero your regular sights without firing a shot, then you're ready to go shooting the correct way with period sights the way they were designed to be used.

Anthony

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
     Save some time; check this thread out.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,148815.msg1098617328.html#msg1098617328   

M&T                                                                       
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling