Author Topic: Tips on giving a repro revolver an "antique" finish?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tips on giving a repro revolver an "antique" finish?
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
From the length of time since someone has posted on this board, it looks like everybody is hibernating?  ;-)  So . . . . . will ask others what they like to do and have tried to give their revolvers an "antique" look.  I know that there are a number of posts on this topic already but am looking for any new ideas or things that some of you have done to give that revolver of yours an "antique" look.

I have a '51 Colt Navy and a new Pietta Remington Navy.  Both have blue finishes - the Pietta is almost dark black.

So here goes . . . . .

First . . . . the modern lettering . . . . to "defarb" . . . is this easily filed off without messing up the dimenstions and looks of the barrel? A better way to do it than draw filing it off?  If you draw file the lettering off, will it affect the overall look of the barrel or do you want to draw file the opposite barrel flat as well or all of the flats except the bottom where the loading lever closes against?  I'm not trying to create a "fake" . . . . just get rid of the lettering that looks like heck and takes away from the overall look of the revolver.

Second . . . . how do you like to remove the blue?  I've heard of using vinegar . . . . any other tricks?

How do you seal off the chambers, barrel, etc. when applying the finish to prevent any corrosion in them - wax or something else?  A number of originals that I've seen almost look "browned" - either from the original finish turning color or from actual exposure to the elements and the metal taking on a browned appearance.  I was thinking of using one of the commercial browning solutions after I had the blue stripped off and then buffing the areas that would normally rub from holster wear, etc.  On the Remington, I thought I would re-grip it using some walnut that I have from some thick walnut roof boards that I salvaged from a house that was built in the 1830's.  It has a nice chocolate color and grain that resembles many of the original grips I've seen.  I thought I would shape and give them their finished contour, apply some good oil finish and buff them to a nice patina, then "age" by giving them some normal use "dings" - after they are "dinged" up, I'll rub some lampblack into them to highlight the dings" and then oil and buff them again.  Instead of using the normal grip screw washers, I'd like to inlay either brass or German Silver "stars" or possible "shields" and then lightly engrave them.

Any suggestions as to tricks any of you have used to age and antique your revolvers, how you removed the "modern" lettering, etc. would be appreciated - also your favorite browning, blue solutions you like to use, etc.  Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
Re: Tips on giving a repro revolver an "antique" finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:14:03 PM »
First of all the originals all had stamped lettering and proof marks on them.  The only way to remove stamped lettering and proof marks is to grind of file them off.  Removing serial numbers may be against federal law so check on that before doing so I know it is illegal on modern weapons.  As for finish the originals all were blued usually by what is known as the rust blue method or color case hardened on frames and hammers etc. The brownish finish you see on many antiques is due to the original finish wearing off and a microscopic rusting of the gun.  This color is called a patina to collectors and it is difficult to duplicate.  If you want your gun to look old and warn several companies are selling already antiqued models.  Or you could use steel wool to rub the original finish down to make it thin and older looking also a good polish using used panti hose works well on color case hardening.  After you wear your finish down to the desired level leave the gun out in a rain storm and let it dry and get a light rust on it then use an oily rag to wipe the rust away and you will have the start of a nice patina.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:21:00 AM »
I've defarbed several revolvers.  I start by using Naval Jelly to remove the bluing, it takes 15 minutes in the kitchen sink.  Then I file the BPO, made in Italy and any proof marks off.  Finish with sand paper, 220, 320, 400, then 600.  Then hot rust blue(Art's Belgium Blue).  If you want a antique look use cold blue and steel wool most of it off.  You can give it a 20 minute soak in Naval jelly again and then wash it off for a French Gray look.  Here is one of my current projects.  Started as a old 62 reb from Uberti, cut, file, and sand.  I still have to nickle plate the frame.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
Thanks madcratebuilder - the phot is great and your project is really looking good - I hope you post photos of it when it is finished!  I'm headed out to Arizona for the winter in a week and am looking forward to giving a couple of my pistols and "antique" look this winter along with making some holsters for them.  Greatly appreciate the info from everyone!  Thanks much!  bedbugbilly
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63