Author Topic: Kel-Tec 32 Auto opinions wanted.  (Read 1225 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Kel-Tec 32 Auto opinions wanted.
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:48:51 AM »
I'm still thinking about a carry gun and looking into options.

A.)  Is the Kel-Tec 32 auto a reliable (trust your life with it) handgun?  I've never owned a kel-tec, but I did shoot one of these at a range many years ago.

B.)  The 32 Auto.... would you trust your life to such a small round even if you loaded it with the best ammo possible?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Kel-Tec 32 Auto opinions wanted.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:21:51 AM »
Teddy-

I have a Kel-Tek .32 auto, and have put about 250 - 275 rounds thru it.  It has jammed 3 times, all with HP bullets, none with FMJ.  So in answer to question #1, what do you think?  The guns size makes it a good hide out gun, and its sights and handeling / grip make it a good "get off me" gun, but limit it's abilities in any kind of serious firefight.  There are better rounds then the .32 for self defense, but a magazine full of .32's in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot shouldn't be sneezed at.  The main selling point for the Kel-Tek, and the similar Ruger as well is ultra compact size.  Heck, I can put mine in my tall socks and carry it that way, if I want.  The most compact reliable (as in hundreds and hundreds of rounds without issue) auto pistol is what I usually carry, and thats the Glock Ultra compact 9mm.  11 rounds, accurate, and goes bang every time.  Of course the Glock is also considerably larger then the Kel-Tek.  Heck, the Kel-Tek is only 8 ounces....  Now I have heard a lot of good about the Kahr's, but have never owned one.  They seem to fall in between the Kel and Glock in size.   The most important factors in a defensive hand gun is, I believe, reliability, as well as the ability of the shooter to act quickly, with confidence.  That means training and practice..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline tonygrz

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
When I first got my P-32, I had a problem with it not going into battery.  Instead of sending it back to the factory, I took it to my local gun shop and the guy filed down a burr on the feed ramp.  No more problems.  I've shot over 200 rounds without a problem.  I just carry it in my front pocket in the summer and in my inside jacket pocket in the winter.  Like Larry said, a magazine of .32's that are well aimed is better than the .45 at home.  Just practice, practice and practice some more.  Practice taking it out of your pocket or jacket just like you would if you really needed the gun.  This is the only gun I carry on my body.  Yes, I trust it with my life.

tonygrz
Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
   I bought one back before ammo was harder to get, and on a suggestion by a "law enforcement" friend, put 200 rounds of FMJ ammo through it before I fired a single round of "Silvertip" HP's. I never had a misfire or failure to feed. Like a lot of "semi's" that need a bit of "honing" to "break-in", the Keltec seemed to function better with each box of ammo. Some folks here have called for a "fluff and buff" of a Keltec before relying on it; I think a good break-in (or polishing) is required of most pistols put out by companies who rely on quantity more than quality to keep price down.
   My Wife has replaced her S&W 60 with the .32 Keltec because it is so small, recoils less, and the extra rounds provided by the 10shot magazine. When loading the clips, I alternate FMJ and HP in her .32 (and my Keltec P3T, .380) on the theory that if the HP doesn't penetrate enough to get their attention, the FMJ may "drive the point home". Would I prefer a bigger caliber? You bet! However, like Tony, my "stay-at-home" .45 never seems very handy or "concealable" in comparison to the "Kelties".

Offline batcat6

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »
I bought a P-32. At the range it functioned fine. But, carrying was a different story. My first round in the mag would hook over the rim of the second round and lock up. This happened several times while carrying. I decided to get rid of it and get a P-3AT. Seems all .32 ammo have rims slightly larger than the cases. They tend to get "rimlock" and KelTec will sell you a rimlock kit to prevent it. I'd rather have the .380...much more ammo selection.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
I would not carry a mouse gun as my primary CCW.  IMO a .38spl or 9mm Luger is the minimum power level suitable for a defensive weapon.  There are plenty of .38 revolvers and 9mm autos out there that are small and lite enough for daily carry. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
Mine is quite accurate, hits to point of aim and has not jammed on me. It and a S&W 638 are the two guns I carry most often.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 03:26:39 AM »
Now my wife and I spent 4 months with purchasing various "small pistols" for her want to be CCW weapon. I learned several things about small cheap pocket pistols and the #1 issue with all of them, was Reliability when you pull that pistol from the holster to fire and go BANG!!! Most of them are very finicky about what they will shoot down the barrel, often will JAM JAM JAM with hollow points. Some will NOT fire the HOT- Self Defense Loads without the clip coming out or Jamming. Most of those manufacturer's tell you NOT to use those Hot Loads on a regular basis, as the pistol can.......BREAK!!! Just what you want if your really need to use the weapon hey!

We ran the tests in wet newspaper and I am posting just to let others know, the 9mm Luger caliber is the smallest I would ever advise anyone to carry as their primary CCW weapon. It has as I have mentioned before over twice the energy of the .380-auto, which in my opinion is not suited for a CCW weapon. Yes, it is perhaps better than a sharp stick! I have heard the .380-auto referred to as "A get the guy off my back weapon" ok. Now I don't want the guy getting that close to me in the first place.

I now have 1 Kel-Tec PF-9 that has had some work done to it (repolish the feed ramp and new barrel) and has the newer modifications from the factory. However, I still do not use this pistol for a CCW weapon. I just don't trust the pistol. It is  accurate at 21 ft shooting 3 inch groups.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
I bought one for my wife and another for myself when they first came on the market. Both were reliable and shot to point of aim. The small size and light weight got them a lot of pocket time. Traded one off, still have the other. Still works fine after all these years.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »
I bought one for my wife about 4 months ago and was quite impressed when I shot it....I was even more impressed with how accurate the lil' gun shoots. My wife took to it like a fish in water and tears up silohette targets at 30-40 feet (tin cans at 20 ft). She puts them all in and around the heart area. I would hate to be the perp that attacks her. ;D