Author Topic: Range Report- 7-08 youth loads  (Read 711 times)

Offline smoky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
Range Report- 7-08 youth loads
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
My 8 year old daughter and I had a pleasant range session a couple of days ago.  We went out for the first time with her model 7 youth rifle.  I have refinished the wood and had limbsaver install a grind to fit pad on it (they did a first class job I might add).

Following Hodgdon's instructions, I loaded 26.3 grains of H4895 and topped it off with a 120 grain ballistic tip.

Since the scope on the rifle was newly mounted, I took the first two shots to zero it in at 25 yards.  When I tell you that there was no recoil, that is exactly the truth.  The mild load and limbsaver pad took care of that.

Then it was my daughter's turn to shoot it for the first time.  Well, she proceeded to shoot a five shot group that you could cover with a 50 cent piece.  There was plenty of high fiving at the range that afternoon.  She is extremely pumped about the upcoming deer season.

Now I'm off to load a box of Hodgdon's recommended reduced recoil hunting loads which are 35.6 grains of H4895 over the 120 grain bullet.  Hope they shoot well.  November can't get here fast enough!

Regards,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.