Author Topic: Steiner Military/Marine 10X50 mm  (Read 619 times)

Offline Arizona Jake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Steiner Military/Marine 10X50 mm
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
Almost 25 years ago, my Mom gave me a set of Steiner Military/Marine binoculars in 10 x 50 mm configuration. I've been really happy with them, although they are somewhat bulky and heavy. As I read more about newer designs, I now wonder if I am really missing-out by not selling them and buying a pair of high-end Swaros, Leicas or Nikons.

While on a tree blind in South Africa back in 1998, my PH and I swapped binoculars for comparison - he owned a pair of Zeiss 10X black rubber armored ones - right around dusk, and both agreed we could not tell the difference between them.

Am I really missing out on a lot of performance by sticking with my Steiners? I would really appreciate your opinions. If you think so, which binoculars would prove the best value for the money? I'd like to stay in the 8-12 X magnification range.

Thanks in advance,

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Steiner Military/Marine 10X50 mm
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:41:30 AM »
A lot no some yes. Both glass and the coatings on it have made huge strides in the last 25 years and even the best from then are not equal to the average $250-$400 binocular today. Still the huge strides are in reality tiny steps in real world usefulness. Steiner made and makes excellent binoculars. I've owned the big name high dollar European binoculars and went back to lower cost as for me they better suit me.

Today I have two I use the old Bushnell Legend I kept when I let the Euro's go and a newer Zen-Ray by our new Optics Sponsor here. I like and use both still. My only regret with the Zen-Ray is that I didn't ask for 8X rather than 10X as I can't hand hold 10X anymore and must use them when I'm in a position to prop my elbows for added stability. When I do that I can see the difference in clarity and definition from them. That was made clear to me on my prairie dog shoot earlier this year. Sitting on my front porch in my rocker using them when I'm free handing them the 8X works better. My wife still uses my old Steiner 6x30 IF binocular for all her binocular use.

These days I just don't think spending more than $500 buys you anything to brag on but the name on them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »
Optics were never the strong point of Steiner binoculars, and still aren't. Rather, Steiner binos are built to withstand mechanical shock and abuse by troops.
Everytime i looked through Steiners i taught that they have optics about similar to binoculars costing 60% as much.
I would sell that Steiner and would buy a Zen Ray ED II 8x43; Mr. Greybeard is right. Not only that you would see better with the 8x43 because it has better optics, but also because it is less powerful and the image will shake less. Only a tiny proportion of military and marine binoculars are 10x. Most are 6x or 7x, with a good reason. In fact, 10x is not useable over water from a moving platform.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »
I suggest you examine your need for 50mm binocs by comparing a good set of 10X42 binocs.  If you are pleased with the smaller size, you may also be pleased by newer coatings on some quality glass.

Your Steiners are good binocs, but they are heavy and bulky, and maybe you would prefer something equally or superior to them, in a smaller frame as well.  I have compact 10X25 Swaro binocs and a 10X42 set of Minox that are less than half the price and do a great job.  They might be half the weight of your 50mm Steiners and serve you just as well or better.

Just my two cents worth.  At my age, lighter and smaller is a little better.

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
Thank you all very much for your input.

I think I'm going to hang on to my Steiners for another couple of years, then start looking at some Nikons, Zen Rays and Leicas.
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »
   I have and intermidiate size 8x stieners that are armore coated.  I love them.  I don't care for compact because the field f vision is too small.  The larger and more powerful are too heavy and I can't stablelize them off hand (they shake too much).  Keep your stieners for long glassing, you've used them so long and like them.  Buy a nice set of intermediate size 8x and a harness and use them for everything else.