Author Topic: CANNON – Wanted for Collection.  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CANNON – Wanted for Collection.
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:28:31 AM »
I would like to add to my collection “one” 10 or 8 gauge, breech loading Signal/Salute Cannon with a Brass or Bronze barrel mounted on a wooden naval type carriage. The cannon must be in good working order. Finder’s fee offered for the lead when purchased.

See example below. Thank you.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
CANNON – Wanted for Collection.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:28:14 PM »
This could be what you are looking for.  Saw it on eBay, but it is serious bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66638&item=7307671760&rd=1
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Cannon Wanted
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 12:47:30 AM »
Evil Dog,

Many thanks,  I have been watching this one since it was posted. The seller is located only 45 miles from where I live and yes price wise, it will go off the chart.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: CANNON – Wanted for Collection.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
Many months have gone by in searching and coming up short and losing while looking for my first Antique Yacht Breech loading Signal Salute Cannon and now, Yippee! Here it is. As Squire Robin has said, “I can’t stop buying Cannons”. It must be in the blood.

I was hoping for a 10 or 8 gauge but was lucky enough to find this larger 4 gauge for about the price of the 10 gauge. It is an R.H. Brown, made in New Haven, Connecticut around 1889 and is Serial #2. R.H. Brown made these fine cannons for only a short 23 years from 1889 until 1912.

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »
Great! It even appears to be in good condition.
Michael

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:00:17 PM »
Yes the Cannon is in overall very good condition but suffers from the lack of proper cleaning after firing.  It is time to get out the BRASSO and use a lot of elbow grease.
Like back in Military School or the US Army again. But this time a Labor-of-Love.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »
I would avoid Brasso for cannon; I think the ammonia will damage the bronze.  Maybe ScotchBrite would be better, especially inside.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure brasso is supposed to make brass brittle, but I wonder to what degree? We sure used the hell out of it in the Navy!
Michael

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »
George,
Many thanks for the warning and information. Someone else has also recommended another product called “Flitz” a paste in the (tube).
Do you know anything about this product?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »
Cpt Ed -

Be carefull as to the size of the charge you use.  This cannon looks similar to the one I saw blow up some 45 years ago.  It had a 1" bore, similar (lower) carriage with the two wheels in front, but it had a longer less tapered barrel and more rounded cascabel.

Old brass can be brittle, just don't overload it.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 02:37:38 PM »
I know some of us used that on our brass (Army) also but that was a low stress application (at least for the brass.)  (-:

According to the MSDS, it has an ammonia-like smell but ammonia is not listed as a component.  It seems like a pretty innocuous product.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »
Cpt Ed,

Here's a website that may help with what you are looking for.

http://www.americanbronze.com/CaringforBronze.htm
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 03:34:20 PM »
CW,
Thanks for the good information and warnings. If and when I shoot this fine cannon, I will probably only use a reduced black powder charge or sleeve it with a chamber mate for the use of 10 gauge blanks.

George,
Appreciate the link to the Material Safety Data Sheet. This a link and information I didn’t know existed.  Learned something new today.

intoodeep,
Thanks for the website.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
I would like to add to my collection “one” 10 or 8 gauge, breech loading Signal/Salute Cannon with a Brass or Bronze barrel mounted on a wooden naval type carriage. The cannon must be in good working order. Finder’s fee offered for the lead when purchased.

See example below. Thank you.

I am glad I was able to help you find that cannon--do you need my address to send the finder fees--I did help you find that gun, didn't I?  ::)

Nice find for a man of patience.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 07:13:18 PM »
How does the breech/firing mechanism on that work?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 01:10:08 AM »
I am glad I was able to help you find that cannon--do you need my address to send the finder fees--I did help you find that gun, didn't I?  ::)

DD:
Nice try but your name isn't "MAINE ANTIQUE DIGEST" and you are not in Vermont USA.  :)

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 01:30:32 AM »
How does the breech/firing mechanism on that work?

George:
This is a lanyard firing design. There isn't any need to cock the cannon. It is fired by pulling the lanyard, which "pulls" the firing pin to the shell. The firing pin is spring loaded so that it is always toward the rear. Also, the breech doesn't lock into position, rather it just closes.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 06:38:26 AM »
FYI, I have a WW2 German 25 mm flare gun, and (and I forget why I figured this out) I found that 4 G shotgun shells are pretty much the same size. I got my hands on some emtpy paper shells to play with. All I had to do is chamfer the back of the gun chamber a bit and they fit right in.

That means that putting a 25 mm flare into a 4 gauge chamber should take no mods at all.

So, when you start looking for 4 gauge brass to load up, not only can you use 4 gauge empties, but you can use 25 mm empy flare casings (which are still common I believe). I don't know what would happen if you tried to fire a live flare in the signal cannon. I do know that if the bore size is too small at all the flare may get stuck and the magesium will melt the barrel... I saw that happen with a 12 gauge flare in a 12 gauge shotgun with a choke in it.

I forget where I found the cases... a surplus dealer I am sure... SARCO maybe, but that was many years ago and I'm sure that supply has dried up.

I'm sure it goes without saying that putting in a real 4 G shotgun shell loaded with real shot would be a bad thing :-)

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 07:31:46 AM »
Rickk,

Sounds like a good idea, however, considering the cost and value of this R.H. Brown Signal/Salute Cannon I am going to move very cautiously. I can have some 1” x 4” shells with the 1.25” rims made or the 10-gauge sleeve insert made by some of the very fine machinists we have listed here.

I am also considering having the cannon restored to its clean looking original condition. I have found a cannon maker in Connecticut, listed on our board,  that has indicated they would like to do the restoration and have done others just like it quite recently.   

Thirdly, living here in the Lightning Capital, Hurricane Zone Central Florida, I probably will carry a insurance policy on it for its full value. If I do this, I will be unable to shoot it for this would void the policy. I have such a policy now on another large Bronze 2" one- pdr Yacht Cannon which is on its original mahogany carriage and was made in Boston circa 1869.

Much to think about and plan for but for now I will just give it a happy loving home.

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 08:04:55 AM »
Cpt Ed,

When the breeck block swings around into the groove that is lock up.

Considering all the books you sent for the Zulu kids, Finders fee paid and more than in full!!!

Now, tell me why were they shooting yachts with cannons...... ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 08:37:50 AM »
DD,

Yes when the breechblock swings around into the groove that is the complete lockup. It seemed to work all right for their 23 years of manufacturing. According to the Ye Old Cannon Maker, the R.H. Browns are a really “Great Cannon”.

I am now preparing another box of books for the Zulu kids. Just need a few more to fill this one box.

Now of course, you know they were shooting Yachts to signal the start and end of their races….  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »
George,
 Someone else has also recommended another product called “Flitz” a paste in the (tube).
Do you know anything about this product?

Flitz is amazing stuff , it's the best ready made polish I've ever used and the makers claim it wont harm any metal. It was originally made in Germany but now it's also manufactured in the States. I've used it on my firearms for years, where any bright metal needed to be polished. It's expensive, but I dont' think you'd mind that considering what your going to be using it on. It comes in both paste and liquid form. Theres an American polish called MAAS thats similar and cheaper, it has jewelers rouge in it. I've also used this polish and it works well.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 06:06:11 PM »
CptEd,

Is yoiur cannon a Herreshoff Saluting Cannon?

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 02:59:53 AM »
Boom J

Thanks for your recommendation of the FLITZ metal polish. I was unable to locate any for sale in 5 of our local stores down here in Florida, so I purchased a tube from a seller listing it on eBay. It should arrive here today.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 03:04:43 AM »
DD:

No my cannon was manufactured by the R.H. Brown Company in New Haven Connecticut in the late 19th century (1890 by its serial number), on the design patent and awarded to J.P Lavigne on February 18, 1890.

The Herreshoff Cannon is a contemporary 20th & 21th century 10 gauge Yacht saluting cannon. With a completely different breach system and is fired by striking the cascabel knob smartly with a wood mallet. The empty shells are extracted by running the mallet handle down the bore. The Brown and Strong Vintage Cannons have an extractor as part of their breach system.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 10:24:37 AM »
Cpt Ed,

I recommend 'scotch brite' to restore the bore. Saw a slot in the end of a wooden dowel rod to hold the pad. Our bore finishes are considered pretty respectable. A smooth surface finish is much easier to clean. Just put the other end in a drill motor and monitor the resistance. You can add more 'scotch brite' as it wears in. I finish with the #7447. There is also a course pad. If you aren't getting what you want, change pads often.

Michael

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 11:31:49 AM »
Hello Michael,

Many thanks for the good information on the "scotch brite". When the time arrives to do the bore, I will give it a try.

Ed.