Author Topic: Weaver V3 1-3x20mm  (Read 930 times)

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Weaver V3 1-3x20mm
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with these scopes?  How are they in low light?  I am thinking about putting one on an sks for a short range deer rifle.  I can't afford a VXII and that seems like the next best option for a low variable power 20mm scope in the $150 or less price range. 

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
Re: Weaver V3 1-3x20mm
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
thanks for asking this question. i'd like to try one too
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:21:51 AM »
Howby,
I set up a Marlin 1894 .41 Magnum for deer in Indiana. Based upon my experience with Weavers (my first is a V7 that I put on a New Savage 110 in 1973) I chose the V3. I don't expect really long shots, but wanted a glass sight for quick acquisition. The scope is small enough that it doesn't overpower the original balance of the short rifle and is quite clear in low light.
I think you will be pleased.

Bitterroot

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »
I have two V7s and one 4x32 (all Classics) that are just awesome, especially on smaller rifles like the H&R.  Midway had the V3 and the V7 on sale for 139 a week or so ago.

I think they are the best optical value on the market right now.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline anuguy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
REVBC, have you ever compared a Weaver classic 2-7x32 to a Nikon Monarch ucc 2-7x32? I have the Monarch and was going to mount it on my little muzzleloader but the view is really small. If the Weaver has a larger view or is at least optically equal then I will get the Weaver  since it is shorter and lighter.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
anuguy,

From what I understand the monarchs are optically excellent scopes and reflect that in their price.  A friend, that has a monarch 4-12x40, and I were shooting together late the other afternoon.  I had the opportunity to compare the monarch with my weaver.  The monarch may have been a smidgen brighter, but the weaver had only a 32mm lens.  To me, it was plenty bright to shoot probably past legal time.  I have an older Leupold, Burris fullfield II, Mueller, Bushnell trophy, millet gold, Bushnell 3200, and the weavers are my favorite hunting scopes.  Some of the others are target scopes though.

I don't know quite what you mean about the view, the field of views (the footage of area covered at a particular maginfication) are roughly the same.
44.5-12.7 monarch
45-15 weaver
The weaver beats the monarch a little on eye relief and a very little on field of view at 7x
My 2 cents
Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 04:49:30 AM »
For very little more you can pick up a Leupold Rifleman which would be vastly superior to it or watch the Classifieds and you can likely pick up a used Vari-X II or VX-I for the same or little more money and have a life time warranty to boot.

I'm not much of a fan of Weaver scopes new or old.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!